No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chunky by Constance Spry, for show.  (Read 2985 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Chunky by Constance Spry, for show.
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
My third piece,only 7 to go according to 20th Century Glass,this time it's signed ;D ;D

Offline Ming

• Members
Re: Chunky by Constance Spry, for show.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
I have a small stocky one but not signed. Keith,  I see you have been busy at the antique market this wed
 and l hope you haven't bought more than 6 pieces of glass. I only bought one item, my first blue Victorian wine glass.
Green and red wine glass are common but blue one difficult to find. Of course l am talking about real blue not sort of blueish green.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »
Hi,

So, there are ten shapes designed by Constance Spry and made by Royal Brierley. Any chance of a link to this information, please?

My third piece,only 7 to go according to 20th Century Glass

Many thanks, Nigel

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
Ming;only six pieces this time,not much about so went elsewhere the next day and got another six!
Nigel;all my info'is from C.Hajdamach's 20th Century Glass.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
Hi the vases come in several sizes , dare i say i have most of them :ooh:i also have a large  flower basket with loop handle Rainbow shape , two large candlesticks and two posy bowls that you can put in the top of candlesticks to turn them into flower arrangements they are still in the original Constance Spry boxes , she was well known for her flower arranging so most of her glass had that connection , i sold my original collection at Sothebys then regreted it so started again , Simon Cottle was a great friend and admirer of Connie and her work .

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »
Keith

All l can say is, You are Mad. Did your GP gives you some kind of GLASS drugs ?  2x6 pieces Haha.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »
Keith

All l can say is, You are Mad. Did your GP gives you some kind of GLASS drugs ?
Yep that's me :24: :24: forgot to mention the two pieces from ebay I picked up today,probably caused by a lack of alcohol,or not enough! ::) :thud:

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 11:14:57 PM »
Keith,

Many thanks.....so much for having read the book cover to cover :o Just proves that dipping in means you retain more, since there is far too much info on one read through  ::) Oh, in case you wondered, it was so I could do an informed critique for publication.

Cheers, Nigel

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 01:54:42 AM »
Nigel;glad I could help,even if it was being a 'dipper' have only got as far as page 37 myself.
JP;would that be Simon Cottle co editor of 'Sotheby's Concise Encyclopedia of Glass'?

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:41:18 AM »
Yes Keith he used to be head of glass at Sothebys but he moved to Bonhams , very nice helpful guy .  jp  Good book init ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand