No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Little aventurine dish  (Read 2022 times)

Offline keez

• Members
    • Netherlands
    • https://www.etsy.com/shop/MidcenturyKCDesign
Little aventurine dish
« on: January 20, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
I have this little aventurine dish with darkbrown mottles (tortoiseshell), 11,8cm x 2,6cm.  On the base a hard-broken pontil (softened).
First I thought it was a Monart dish, 1930s shape Y, but the measurements are not right, it is 8mm too wide.  I also thought about Nason & Moretti, but that’s more black.
Can somebody help me with an ID ?

Kees

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Little aventurine dish
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39:44 PM »
Vincenzo Nason (not Nason & Moretti) tends to be a lot lighter in colour, not darker.  This is because aventurine requires very precise temperature control, and Nason knew how to do it. Who have always had problems with aventurine are Dalian, from China, You often find pieces by them which hardly have a splash of metal left because the working temperature was too high and ther copper particles got burned. So my guess is that your dish is Dalian.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keez

• Members
    • Netherlands
    • https://www.etsy.com/shop/MidcenturyKCDesign
Re: Little aventurine dish
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »
Hi Ivo,
I have 2 Dalians like yours, inside they're egally darkbrown and darkpurple.
My dish is different, infact it's clear glass with a lot of brown dots.  There are also 7 light Yellow dots inbetween.  It has also a broken pontil ?
You're right it is not Nason, but as you see, I still have my doubts about Dalian.  I don't mind if it is, it's still a nice bowl.

Kees

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand