No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: paperweight for identification  (Read 2555 times)

Offline BLUE HARVEST

• Members
paperweight for identification
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »
Possibly very early venetian? The base colour is a sea green.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: paperweight for identification
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
Hi there.  

Very Pretty item there.  I am not sure about it, but I think you may be right?  What is the size of it, as hard to tell -- as it looks smaller by the pics, and the size of your Fingers (in the Pic).   Sorry if that is a silly question, but I just can not tell the size.  May we have the size of it.

Love the aventurine in it !!  Thanks  :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:58:41 PM »

I'd agree with 19th C Venetian. Dating these precisely is not easy: the few 1840s ones tend to have a poor surface quality (ridges, pits) and canes very near the surface, and often a good variety of canes including silhouettes or pictures (and even dates or signatures).

The later 19th C ones tend to have more aventurine, no silhouettes or pictures, and an improved - though still poor - surface quality.  Pontil marks are rough throughout, the glass is usually rather dark, and the shapes are quite variable from cones to squat lumps to spheres: the later ones tend to be better shaped. Sizes vary too, with more smaller ones later, I think.  I keep saying 'tend' because there is a lot of variability in the ones I have seen.

If I had to give a view on date I would veer towards later 19th C.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:13:36 PM »
The large cog canes, thick latticinio, and orangy-gold aventurine suggests a later date - perhaps as late as the 1950's 

Offline BLUE HARVEST

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »
Sorry  Rose

the diameter at widest point is 5.5cm

Offline BLUE HARVEST

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 11:48:56 PM »
 Thank you for your considered reply Alan,

I'm not really entirely sure it's a 19th century one. I've had a number of the Bigaglia weights, both good and bad and the canes, colour, weight and metal are different. The surface of the glass is different, too; almost waxy and the canes are set quite deep within the glass. Also, the blowing rod used appears to be of a different size to the ones found on 19th century examples.
The colour palette is also different to the 19th century ones. The base colour is a quite distinct sea green, full of tiny pinhead sized "starfield" bubbles you often find in pre 18th century venetian and facon de venise cristallo. The only reference I've found to a millefiori weight that has a similar base colour was one fished out of a Venetian lagoon and dated to the end of the 15th century ( in the "minature di vetro" book, page 13 illustration 31- I'll try and post a photo of the illustration in the next couple of days).

Have you, or any board members ever seen a pre 18th century venetian weight? or know of specific references to the same?

Once again many thanks, in advance for any replies.

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 02:35:35 AM »
I am inclined to agree with Alan based on the millefiori style in the weight matching up to those found in the African Trade Beads of late 19th century.

Offline casalibre

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:09:55 PM »
I vote with cfosterk: as late as the 1950's , because of the whole setting.
Surly the item is not classic Murano.
And it does not look like 1865 till 1890 Murano/Venice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand