No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby red , wrythen bowl with applied raspberry prunts & gold decoration.  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Is it possible to ID the maker of this bowl please ? I think it might date from the 1960's (a guess). 3 1/4 inches tall with a diameter of 6 1/4 inches . Has an export/import label still attached . The gold is to the surface of the glass rather than internal. Thanks in advance for any help/advice & comments. Mike  :t:
Mike

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Hi Mike. I vaguely recall seeing something similar a while ago with a scalloped Archimede Seguso label, so maybe that is a place to start looking.  A search on this message board might turn something up.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Wayne,

I will carry on searching here but I did find this with raspberry prunts but obviously different .

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19483.0.html

ta Mike.
Mike

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
It does look similar, Anita is probably right in that other thread when she says that this type of glass was made by several different makers.  I've had a bit of a search myself but the closest I could find was this lamp:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35580.0.html

It's just a shame that label can't be confirmed as A. Seguso.  It does look to me like the top layer could have worn off and then someone later added the numbers for some reason, but who knows.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Wayne,

The red colour looks very similar , the prunts on this bowl are huge and are over 2 cm in diameter. The base is also a solid, clear , crimped disc of glass which is attached to the base of the bowl . The gold decoration is not only on the surface of the base underneath but is also sandwiched between the ruby glass of the bowl and the clear base.

I will just have to hope that one with a label may turn up one day ! I will keep looking on the ----->  :ow:
Mike

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Hi there:
 I have always wondered about these labels too (looks like a Rooster with a Bad hair Day)....LOL.

I have seen these label with the letters (in small) of AS, AF, and now this one has AM.  I have a bowl with this label too.  I wonder if there is *ever* a way to possibility find out (or try to figure on) here on the Board (research topic) as to what significance these different letters might mean.  It has to be a code of some sort???? A code for the Maker??  A code for location???  Most labels like this I have seen are Round foil label -- but this one here is Square... :huh:

I have brought this topic up before here:  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19101.0.html

This has different small letters on it here:http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19500.0.html

I do not not know -- but would be nice to find out (somehow) what they mean.  It is just that I was reading some other Murano posts about a plastic clear label that had numbers on it, and that these numbers were were referenced to the Maker.  So I wonder IF this worth trying to dig for more info ---- or at the very least ---- be nice to start a separate Gallery at Glass Gallery(glass items) and  of the same label lettering (eg AS, or AF) to see if one can *figure* anything out as a research item by Members.  

Might labels with an *AF* have some same characteristic as to maker, over glass item with this label but with the letters *AS* ????

Might be fun to see what we come up with Glass Pieces verses the labels with the different letters on them to see if any pattern exists at all.

Just a suggestion.  If a stupid question, I will run and   :ooh:   :spls:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
What a super idea Rose....I think you might be on to something here. It's odd that the letter duo should all begin with 'A' . Italian silver marks (from 1968 onwards) have a star, a number (signifying the maker) and two letters which denote the region. As an example " star 58 PD ", on Italian silver, means the maker no.58 was Zanovello Bruno and the region PD is Padova (on the mainland from Murano) . Perhaps there is a maker link here somewhere or perhaps the second letter (or both) may be a year indication ! I've added a close-up for starters !
Mike

Offline tam bam

• Members
I have a fish with the rooster label on it also.  I believe mine states AF but not too sure (I will look again when I get home this evening).  My fish is attributed to Galliano Ferro.  I will check out my label again tonight and post back.  Rose could be very correct. 

GOOD IDEA ROSE! :rah:

tam bam

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
I have a Drioli Bottle by A. Seguso that has a similar label with A.S on it. I belive the A.F might be Anzolo Fuga. But this is unconfirmed.

Mine is the round label. I haven't seen this one before. It looks like it could be a bit later, so maybe 70's onwards. Any Moretti's with the first initial A?

I will do some digging around...

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
I've always thought that these label were early example of the promovetro label, with the two letters being a code for the maker. I've seen a list of the combination of letters that have appeared but never anything tying them to a specific maker, although the info must exist out there somewhere.

Kane, I'd be very surprised if AF were Anzola Fuga, unless there's a really good source for that.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand