No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: And because I don't know how to be humble -- Adolf Matura 'head' jardiniere  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I bought an Adolf Matura frosted head jardiniere (Libochovice glassworks) this morning for a whole 70 PLN (about 18 euro or 15 pounds).  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   It's in perfect condition -- and I'm in seventh heaven. 

Here is a picture for your viewing pleasure.  Feel free to inundate me with expressions of awe and jealousy...  ;D

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Fifteen quid.....:thud:

Wow, that is a fantastic bargain, a really iconic design. 8)
Am I right in thinking there was more than one variation?

:mrgreen: John :mrgreen:

Offline px

• Members
Anik, as soon as I saw the topic I decided I will not read the post and definitely did not look at the picture. And I think I won't read any of your posts ever anymore. And I think no one would have wanted that item at that price anyway. And I am NOT jealous. I am not jealous. I am not...
 :thud:  :tsk: :tsk:  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  God, I bet it's heavy? What are the dimensions?  :)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Bravo Anik  :clap:

it is rare piece and normaly is very costly - about 100 GBP now.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
:cry: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :bsh: :cry: :mrgreen: :cry:

No I'm not envious at all Anik :wsh:
I'm just smashing the glass head vase so you can't have it!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Thank you, gentlemen and ladies.

But I have to say, it's a good thing I was ignorant as to the value of the vase/jardiniere, or else I would have ended up paying more...  The sellers wanted 150zl for it which I thought was terribly overpriced.  When I handed the vase back, one of the sellers told me it's a 1930s art-deco piece.  I started laughing and told him it's 1970s.  After a quick exchange in Russian (not with me, but with the other seller), his partner told me that I may be right, and that he'll give it to me for 100zl.  I told him that that's still too expensive and started to walk away.  He asked me how much would I give him, so I yelled out 'not more than 60zl'.  He said he'll sell for 80zl, and I said I'll give him 70zl.  He agreed.   ;D

It's only when I got home and saw these two links that I realized the vase/jardiniere is worth more than I ever imagined:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4269088
http://www.auctionatrium.com/index.php?page=view_item&itemID=6724

Even 100 GBP is much more than I expected. :o   I really do feel as if I won the lottery.  ;D

px -- the vase is 14cm high and 14,5cm wide.  It weighs about 1,4kg.  It really is an impressive piece.
I am one very, very happy woman.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Anik,

Very nice find. Glad to have helped your 'research' on the internet, with one of the succesful sales out of the auction I was invited to source and curate  ;) :)

http://www.auctionatrium.com/index.php?page=view_item&itemID=6724

Nigel

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Thank you, Nigel.  :)

Here is one more picture of my vase, looking very happy in its new home...  ;D

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Congratulations. It's lovely.
 :mrgreen: :hiclp:
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand