No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery set No. 042  (Read 9113 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Mystery set No. 042
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »
I was given this set many years ago by my great aunt.  They were always 'on their uppers' as she would say, so I imagine it was quite a cheap purchase when she was very young? Does anyone know who made it and what the pattern is please? I have to admit I haven't been through Pamela's site recently but did search for it about a year ago and couldn't find it.  It's quite sweet because it comes from my great aunt,  but not my thing at all to be honest.  There are two round lidded pots one smaller than this, two candleholders and a little rectangular pin dish thingy.  Unfortunately no tray, although there might have been at one point and it 'may' have got broken  :-[ at some point.
thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: peach pressed glass trinket set
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
This one's still a bit of a mystery set. One was given to his secretary as a wedding gift by Mr Bagley*, of Bagley Glass, but as the design doesn't show in the Bagley catalogues we don't know if it is a Bagley design or a sample which he'd acquired from somewhere else, or a set he'd bought for her. My gut feeling, and that's all it is at the moment, having handled a full set of this (which is upstairs awaiting detailed photos) is that it isn't Bagley. I suspect one of the lesser known German or English makers but I don't yet know for sure.  They are seriously heavy pieces, that's for sure.

* Note info from Angela Bowey's Bagley Glass book CD version

Edited to add quick photos below from Denis Hebden of my set (he purchased it on my behalf and emailed the pics to me before it arrived.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
ooh thanks Anne - that's way more information than I was expecting and makes it interesting.  I can't believe Mr Bagley would give a piece of glass that wasn't from his own stable though??? - very bad PR advice  ;D ... if he did.
Well I've no further info I'm afraid, except to say she was a Lancashire lass (living nearish the Yorkshire border, since that is where we all come from  :hiclp:) so Bagley glass would not have been out of the equation.
Yes they are heavy  :-[ hence the broken tray and the minor chips on the lid of the large one of mine (which I used to use).  I think I've managed to keep the small pot, pin dish and two candleholders all in one piece though.  It will be interesting to know more on this in time.  I can't quite bring myself to get rid of sell it, because it belonged to her, even though it's all wrapped up in newspaper in a box  :-X

thanks so much
m

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:04:54 AM »
M, when I find out more I'll add it here.

Meanwhile, I was idly thinking how much fun it would be if your great-aunt turned out to be that Bagley secretary! How's your family history?   ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:34:30 AM »
Sorry Anne I thought I had replied to this  :)  Great minds think alike is all I can say ;D I was idly wondering the same.  I'll have a delve around and chat to my aunt and see if she knows anything. It is a possibility.  I've also remembered they had a piano and a pianola so they can't have been as broke as all that!  I'll find out what I can.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »
No update on info on this but I have found the tray  :)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »
Almost a full house - I like it.  I was wondering, Anne, how it is known that Mr Bagley gave his secretary a set, and this set in particular?
Nancy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Green-Glass-Lidded-Dish-/280863821746?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item4164c9cfb2

for Anne and Pamela - this obviously came in green as well?  I think it is the same  :-\
m

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »
Thanks M, also comes in light blue and pink, and I *think* I've seen it in clear too.

Nancy:  re how do we know about Mr Bagley and his secretary: it's a comment on the CD version of Angela's Bagley Glass book. I tried to go back and check to see if there's a source for the info on the CD but it's refusing to run for me now.  I do know that Angela has talked to a lot of ex-Bagley staff so it may have come from one of them, or was recorded in the firm's archives somewhere.

As to why he gave his secretary this one, perhaps it was a sample they had acquired or he bought it as a wedding gift. According to Angela, Bagley's didn't rate their glass as high quality, it was mass-produced glass and fairly cheaply made, so perhaps it might have been seen as a little insulting if he'd given her a Bagley set?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
request for trinket tray for id.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »
Here is the second tray :)       An attractive pale blue colour, and the motif made me think of the boy scouts ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand