No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors, thick walled, light blue internally ribbed vase , poss. date please?  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Sorry to bother you guys & gals again but I know very little, if nothing, about Orrefors ! This is no doubt a no-brainer but I would really like to know a date/designer, if possible, for this vase . Thanks very much for looking. It is exactly 10cm in height with 2cm thick walls. Signed Orrefors to base. It looks quite modern to me . Cheers Mike.
Mike

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Mike:

Are there no letters or numbers other than Orrefors on the bottom? It's the letters that tell you the designer. If the Orrefors is sandblasted, then it's a fairly recent piece, which you might be able to find an attribution of in the current Orrefors on-line catalogue.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks very much David,

On the base is just Orrefors hand written with a diamond point and there are no numbers sadly. I've tried searching on the internet but can't find an example. Ta , Mike
Mike

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Hello:

Your vase strikes me as a design by Edvin Öhrström from the 1940's. His work during this period featured the heavy glass with wheel cut designs. A design FA 2243 appears to be your form from 1940.

I do not recall seeing this color blue glass also being used in contemporary art glass from Orrefors.

As an aside, he also explored during this period, the cutting of designs inside the heavy vessel to create unique optic effects.

Bill Geary

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Bill,

That's very interesting ! The only thick-walled optic I could find was this one...

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-signed-orrefors-swedish-optic-crystal

Could you possibly let me know where I might be able to compare the design with  FA 2243 ? Was this number sometimes left off examples ?

I've posted a pic. of the Orrefors sig. to base . Cheers, Mike
Mike

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
You can go to "Swedish Glass Factories - Production Catalogs 1915 - 1960"
Helmut Ricke and Lars Thor
Prestel - Verlag

As a secondary point, I did research on Edvin Öhrström when I was planning to complete a book on this very
interesting sculptor who brought a different aesthetic to the Orrefors Glasbruk.

Last but not least, I have been accused by the management personnel at the Glass Museum in Växjo of having
extensive knowlege on Swedish glass.

Best
Bill Geary

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks so much Bill,

Good heavens ! (LOL !) If I knew anything about Orrefors glass then I would have known who you were !!

I would like to stress that in asking for a reference to the design it was in disbelief of what I had found rather than what you had said !  :-[

I did check on contemporary designs and it seems Edvins influence is still very much alive .

I will see if I can get a copy of 'Swedish Glass Factories Cats.' through the library ..and also your book which I need to read urgently !!

Thank you !! Mike.   
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I have managed to find a copy of the Production Cats. book in the central library (nice to see an actual pic. of it !) . I think the vase was produced in three (?) different sizes, this one being the middle size,and available in two colours clear and aqua marine (as per this example). Can I just ask for how many years , approx., would this vase  have been in production ? I guess as Sweden had remained neutral during  WW2 then production wouldn't have been disrupted at all. Cheers, Mike.  
Mike

Offline inca

• Members
  • Stockholm, Sweden
Could you possibly let me know where I might be able to compare the design with  FA 2243 ?

you can see a FA 2243 here:

http://www.precisensan.com/antikforum/showthread.php?t=26333&highlight=2243
all texts and pictures © Ingela Nyrén

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Inca,

Very kind of you , it's a lovely set of photos ! Very nice to see another one !!

The only words I understood were Orrefors and diameter !!  :usd:  :sun:
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand