No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Crown - C11G - but of what?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Caithness Crown - C11G - but of what?
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:23:03 PM »
I also just received this weight , bought about a month ago from USA. (The mail is really slow from USA these days!)  I knew it was a Caithness second but liked it anyway as I don't have a  Crown weight and probably could not afford a first quality one.

Firstly am I correct in calling this a Crown weight?  and does anyone know what it is a second of? I cannot find anything this colour, but it looks like a crown style 1 more than any of the others on Scotlands Glass website. Apart from the (very important !) central cane and the base colour of lavender rather than green, it is more like this one than any other I have found.  Could it have been a trial piece perhaps? several of the red white and blue latticino twists do not have the white in them - don't know whether that is a fault that may have meant it was not finished with the central canes.

Any info or suggestions welcomed.
Jak
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Caithness Crown - C11G - but of what?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »
Hi
This is definitely what we call a crown weight and although many Caithness weights are sold a seconds some are perfect as Caithness often make experimental or trial weights using different colours or designs before deciding on the style and colours of a finished edition. A very nice weight and it looks great to me so well done on geting this one

Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
 I agree with Dave,I have a lovely Fleur C11G but as far as the production is concerned it should not be black/snow.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »
Thanks Roger & Dave for the information.

I will just continue to call it a Lavender crown then and think that it was perhaps a trial piece for the Crown style 1 before they decided to go with green for the base - but the lavender is very pretty!

regards

JAK

West Oz - as we batten down the hatches waiting for a cyclone that might or might not hit us in the next 36 hours - getting windy already!  (me I mean - not so much the weather)   :phew:

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand