No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for hot worked pink bowl  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for hot worked pink bowl
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
well, I couldn't really think how else to describe it accurately........the trellis style of hot worked rim decoration is something we see on older pieces usually - more C19 - although this is not of course that old - probably 1930 - 1940 period.   But hot worked decoration is surely uncommon on inter war pressed glass??     When seen on vases it has been said that you poked your flower stem through the trellis - but not this one I guess, and I think mine is in fact missing a flower dome/frog, unfortunately.     No marks or Nos., although it has a 'tide mark' towards the top, so evidently has been used as a flower bowl at some time.   An eight way crimp, and it does in fact produce a reasonable 'ding' when flicked.     Something like 10.5"/265mm in diameter, with a typical flat ground outer base rim for the period.      I have looked thru Pamela's bowls, but may well have missed it somewhere along the line, so if anyone does recognize it please do let me know, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: id request for hot worked pink bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:52:25 PM »
No idea on the bowl but the pictures are excellent.
Chris :sun:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:38:19 PM »
thanks Chris.             I'm not especially gifted at being David Bailey, so guess this more luck than judgment - although must admit this translucent pink does work well under certain lighting (and hides the water staining marks ;)).      I will start to have a grope around soon on some more of Pamela's Master Books, but it does seem a round peg in a square hole for the periond I had in mind   -   maybe it's older than I think. :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
It's a particularly lovely bowl Paul, and nice to see you around!! I thought you had gone underground for the Winter!! :usd:

I haven't seen anything like this on Pamels website,  but I will keep a look out and if I find anything suggesting this style or type,  I will post a reply here.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
nope - hadn't gone underground  - in fact I usually continue getting up at 5 a.m. most of the winter to find things like this.   However, just recently the law of diminishing returns has set in, and remaining in a warm bed with a woman on a Sunday morning, has got the upper hand ;)      Regret to say that I still haven't made any progress with this piece  -  and so continue to be flummoxed.      Sincere thanks for all your efforts to help, and I will be overjoyed if you can come up with an attribution.   I look forward to your further suggestions, and I still wonder if in fact I am missing a 'frog' or 'dome'.    The bowl does have some quite noticeable water staining  -  and yet its 'open plan' shape seems not to suggest a shape for holding flower stems  -  but rather as a container in which to put your apples or oranges.    Mystified of Surrey?? :)     

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:22:47 AM »
???  No clue.

Is it kinda an apricot color?  Would it be called an "openedge basket weave" around the outside?  Have not found anything, and the only thing that I have found (so far) is like a Fenton open basket weave. ??? HERE

I do not think that is the maker -  But still trying to look.... :spls:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:47:41 PM »
It looks like we are on the same wavelength Rose as I had been looking at this piece.

http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/9941638/fenton-blue-opalescent-basket-weave

I have also been looking at Old Colony glass which has some pieces with a lacy rim,  but none of them seem to be hot-worked additions to pressed glass.  Do you think it could be American Paul,  or are you pretty certain it is English??

I have looked through Pamela's site a bout 6 times and can see nothing that looks like yours, even without an added lacy rim.

Hey ho....on with the search. :wsh:
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »
my thanks to both of you.       Would not be inclined to call the colour 'apricot' - and seems to be the rather proverbial/traditional pinky sort of brown of which vast amounts of pre second war glass was produced  - and this one seems quite strongly stransclucent.       It's fatal to be dogmatic about anything, especially me and glass attributions - but I don't see it as being from the States  - I just have a feeling it is European, but really am only guessing.    Looks like we must carry on looking :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
This is the nearest I have found yet Paul, only showing because it has a stamp on the base and may help to lead somewhere..... :X:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pottery-glass/Porcelain-pottery/Other-European-manufacturers/auction-358576541.htm
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
If there are any fresh eyes out there, maybe someone might have more definite thoughts - it does have the looks to deserve a positive attribution.   Anyway, worth trying once more:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand