No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of birds Scandinavian? ID = Archimede Seguso  (Read 7383 times)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: Pair of birds Scandinavian?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »
Funnily enough, the water in Canada and the water in Scotland should share a lot of the same characteristics (including similar local variations) as they are from the same original land mass  - before the continents as we now know them, were formed.  :thup:

So Himself has had a double dose of it which is why he is far worse than you are  :24: :24: :24:

And you learn something new everyday, I had no idea that we were originally the same land mass. And I'm watching Fantasia for the first time today.

Carolyn

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Pair of birds Scandinavian?
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 10:27:40 PM »
On the way Anita, thanks again for your invaluable help :fwr:
Chris :sun:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Pair of birds Scandinavian? ID = Archimede Seguso
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
Anik, thanks for your interest (though we may be cafe'd).
There is a huge political scandal surounding ME. Basically, although it is recognised, and has been since '69, by the WHO, classified as G 93.3 - a serious neurological disease, it is not recognised by official health service (except for Scotland, but even then, only since last September).
It isn't recognised, because it's a lot cheaper for insurance agencies to pay out for psychological illnesses than it is for organic disease - payments are a lot less.
So what is done in practise is to mix the diagnoses up with those of "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", which is no more than a mish-mash of symptoms - and can have many causes, from  depression to cancer treatment.
CFS is also a bundle of symptoms which come along with ME.

So, mainstream medicine refuses to recognise any of the proper scientific research which folk have managed to do - mostly funded by charities, because the MRC (here anyway) will only fund psychological research - not scientific research. The chap who is in "charge" of all the mainstream research and is governmental advisor about it, is directly involved financially with the insurance companies who would have to pay out more if ME was taken as an organic disease. Interestingly, he's also the chap who is directly involved with the denial of GWS, and has recently published a paper saying that veterans of Afghanistan and Iraq do not have PSTD. No, no, they've all just got alcohol problems.
The government refuse to tackle the MRC over research allocations, and the chap officially in charge of ME stuff, gets allocated all the research money by his partner - who sits on the MRC and gives it to him.

Also mainstream medicine has a tendency to be about 10 years behind research knowledge.

My stats come from real, scientific research. Yes, suicide is a major cause of death in ME. So is cancer. The average age of death for somebody with ME and cancer is 47. The average age of death from cancer in folk without ME, I believe is about 63. The overall average of the cutting life short by 25% comes from averaging all the early deaths from means related to ME - including suicide and cancer as well as from major organ failure caused directly by the ME itself.
Do you want references to the papers? I can dig them out.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »
Hi Chris,

I have a gold one just like your amber & aqua (which btw are really nice examples).  Here is a thread I replied to on Fossilfly with a photo of my bird in it.  The red alabastro bird is not mine but I would love to have it.  The gold one at the end of the thread is mine.   These little birds are great!

tam bam

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 02:09:53 PM »
Can we have the link please Tam Bam?? :thud:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline tam bam

• Members

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 12:30:12 AM »
Don't you guys think the gold bird would look beautiful with its three siblings in the zoo? I can see it already.  :)

This may be the gold bird you sent me a picture of before you got your good camera. The picture on Fossilfly is excellent. I didn't notice it before.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:47 AM »
Be my guest, Anita! :chky:  Yes, it is the same gold bird.  He was my first AS purchase and I have loved him ever since. 

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 01:01:30 AM »
 :t:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 01:17:49 AM »
The colorful foursome is together now. I am glad we have the back of the topaz bird, Chris. It shows a different view.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand