No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aventurine and green weight - ID = Teign Valley Glass  (Read 13834 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Aventurine and green weight - ID = Teign Valley Glass
« on: January 30, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »
I thought perhaps Murano when I first saw this, but the base in not ground; it has a sort of fire polished indent. Then I wondered whether it is Strathearn. Now I don't know. Any thoughts please.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Aventurine and green weight
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
 :hi:

No clue here --- but still *just* trying to help if I can         (lord knows if that is possible ??   :24: )

Might it be similar to this one  ** Here     at all ????  or even this one   **HERE   

Just throwing out suggestions (to try to help) ????????????
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:59:38 AM »
I have one just like it! See photo below. It is 3 3/16 inch (81 mm) diameter and 2 7/8 inch (71 mm) high. The base is also fire polished and indented. Mine has some "tooling ridges" around the body near the base, partly shown in the image by the dark shadow line.

I think it was from eBay and was sold by a lady who said that her mother had visited a glassworks in north London sometime in the 1970s. Apparently, on asking if they made paperweights, the person at the counter brought out the weight and sold it to her! Name of the company ... Nazeing.

Can't recall right now when I got it but it was certainly after the Nazeing exhibition of 2003 otherwise I would have offered it for consideration of inclusion along with an older weight I have that was included.

I have not followed up on the information but I think the design ties in quite well with the "bubbles and swirly things" motif on a weight illustrated (but not very well) in the b&w image of a 1950s catalogue page from Nazeing. I first saw that page in a copy of the Monart & Vasart Collectors Club newlsetter and it was also later reproduced in the book by Geoff Timberlake produced for the "celebration of Nazeing Glass Works 1928-2003".

Now these weights have been aired in the Board, I would be pleased to learn of any other views on the Nazeing attribution, pro or con.
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:30:33 AM »
Oh interesting thought Kev, thank you.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
 :hi:

Just to throw a spanner in the works, this may be completely irrelevant, but the texture of the gorgeous green colours looks very, very, very Perthshire.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »
More spanners, people  ;D
I found this today - a Teign Valley Glass pw, on Ron's site.

http://www.artiusglass.co.uk/id21.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
I saw that too, but I think their stuff is usually signed T.V.G. (PS That price is what one might call ambitious!)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:25:37 AM »
That T.V.G. item was also linked to by Rose earlier.

I agree that TVG items are usually signed but on some it is hard to find the tiny "T.V.G" mark. But I can confirm that my weight has no signature anywhere.

It is difficult to be sure, but, even allowing for the effects of digital imaging and stated size (2.25 inch diameter) of the TVG item, I think its green is more "chunky" than in these other weights. Another point is that although they each show green and white as the actual colouring of the ground, mine and Christine's weights are much more like "jasper" than separate green and white elements, which is how I see the TVG piece.

But ... ?
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 07:41:39 AM »
I agree. I've looked at my TVG pear and that is blue blobs and green blobs. This is mixed green and white frit and a much finer lacy effect. The more I look at it the more I love it.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 08:30:38 AM »
I can't add anything to id this but just to say that I keep seeing that Teign Valley glass is signed, but I have bought pieces from them that definitely were not signed.  In one case I bought two of the same thing in different colours and one piece was signed and the other not.   I had a choice of pieces and quite a few of those I looked at were not signed.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand