No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Experts HELP w/signed 1930 cobalt cut to clear bowl  (Read 3488 times)

Offline vida_vision

• Members
    • http://tinyurl.com/dmrv6
Orrefors Experts HELP w/signed 1930 cobalt cut to clear bowl
« on: January 08, 2006, 07:17:24 AM »
Hi! I have not had any luck with my research on this signed Orrefors cobalt blue-cut-to-clear crystal glass. The bottom reads "Orrefors 1928 or 1930? HF14" Dimensions approx 11.75" L x 7" W x 6" Deep. My questions are as follows
What is the Value? What does HF14 stand for? Was artist Simon Gate?  
Any Information Greatly Appreciated! -Vida

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Orrefors Experts HELP w/signed 1930 cobalt cut to clear bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »
Edvard Hald comes to mind as a possible designer for this but I could easily be wrong. I am more used to looking at post war Scandinavian glass.

I am disturbed by the stratchy look of the signature and I would expect a date "code" rather than an actual date.
Did you buy it from a reputable dealer ?

Orrefors marks are listed in Ivo Haanstra author of Miller's Glass Fact File A-Z but they are quite complex. The best person to interpret them is Ivo himself who is a member here but not available at the moment.

Bill Geary, author of Scandinavian Glass: Creative Energies may also be able to help. Hopefully he will visit shortly.

Please limit the size of your pictures in future to max 400 pixels. Apart from causing a horizontal scroll on this page, there are also bandwidth considerations for the board owner Dr Angela Bowey.

We do not generally discuss values here as there are so many variables and we are not licenced appraisers. I can recommend an online appraisal service. E-mail me for details.
Pete

Offline borolad259

• Members
    • http://www.flickr.com/groups/glass_id/
orrefors
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 07:41:24 PM »
By no means take this as gospel as Peter says, Orrefors marks are very complicated.
Edward Hald' pieces from that era were often marked Hald, H, or Hd. I have never seen HF as a combination before. The date is sometimes shown, but with Hald, orrefors and the decorator's signature.
I'm by no means an expert on Hald, but I haven't seen this format of signature before, and it doesn't to me look typical of his work either.
ick.

Offline vida_vision

• Members
Orrefors
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:15:43 PM »
Sorry, Images have been adjusted as per request :)
-Vida

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Orrefors Signature
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 09:49:08 AM »
The signature HF means

Hald -H                F - means cut overlay.

This is an Orrefors work. I have seen this work at auction here in Sweden.

See page 229 "Orrefors A Century of Swedish Glassmaking"

Without additional data on the signature, it will be difficult determine a
specific date

The glass works used many people to sign the works. In the late 1980's management asked the artists to sign their art glass and you would have thought the world came to end. No way was their response.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Orerfors
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 09:52:08 AM »
Sorry, I missed the date on the piece.

Offline vida_vision

• Members
Orrefors
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 09:39:47 AM »
Thank You kindly Bill :)
I will go see if I can locate that book at a local library here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand