No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identification help needed with my glass vase please Salviati? ID=Salviati  (Read 3746 times)

Offline lilypot2007

• Members
Hi I am new to the forum and wondered if anybody here could help me with identification of my glass vase. I bought it as Salviati style Facon De Venise. Has anybody seen another like it and, if so, what could you tell me about its origin, date etc. I would be grateful for any help. My friends at 20th Century Forum think it is Italian.
I hope the pic comes out, I have read the tutorial but am not that confident!  Any help would be appreciated

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Identification help needed with my glass vase please
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »
Welcome!  :hi:
It looks right to me, but there are others here who know a lot more than I do about this sort of thing and will give you a much more definite answer.
I think, though that "facon de venise" might be a technically wrong sort of description - Salviati worked in Venice, so it can't be properly described as the "method of Venice" as that would imply it was made elsewhere.
But that does tend to be the name used for these amazing pieces. I love the green in this one, quite a superb thing.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline lilypot2007

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »
Thanks very much for the reply. It is a beautiful piece of work. It appears to have one of its wing spikes missing but I do not think that detracts from the glass as a whole. I have tried in vain to research this particular glass/vase, there are plenty of plain glass Facon De Venise that have sold for rather alot of money at the big auction houses. I consider myself lucky to ave picked this one up for the price I did.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
I am fairly sure it is Dr Antonio Salviati circa 1885, Testolini is another contender but the wings on the stem look ok for Salviati and the green is a popular colour , the price is just a matter of luck on the day and how you present it , damage is often accepted on these pieces but will make some difference .  nice item .jp

Offline lilypot2007

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »
Thank you for your advice and opinion, when you have hit the buffers with research you value any blanks people can fill.  I have no immediate plans to sell it but equally do not anticipate keeping it as it really is not what I usually collect.  It was a speculative buy that appears to have paid off.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:00:38 PM »
I think jp's advice/opinion on this is really very good indeed!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Identification help needed with my glass vase please Salviati?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »
I side with Grumpy Old Pedant who is soon to realise that her new name really is a nono.

Offline lilypot2007

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »
I think I will hang on to it for a bit to enjoy ever owning one and then check out the market.  If it makes 3 figures then I know I will have bought wisely!

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 12:32:03 AM »
Hi there -- Pretty sure (as the others are) -- it is a BINGO!!

Beautiful piece, lucky you!!  :thup: :thup: :thup: :hiclp:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline lilypot2007

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »
Hi, just an update for all of you who kindly posted on this glass.  Simon Cottle from Bonhams has backed you all up by saying it is indeed Salviati Circa 1890 and currently worth £300-400.  An investment for the future and hopefully a good guide for any other poster lucky to get their hands on a piece like this. :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand