No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dark blue (cobalt ?) bud vase , could it possibly be by Gullaskruf ?  (Read 7367 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I just thought this bud vase might be Gullaskruf, perhaps by Arthur Percy. It's quite light only 8 1/4 ozs . Approx 25cm in height. Very well finished around the mouth of the neck .I think the colour might be Cobalt Blue.  Thanks for having a look !
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Dark blue (cobalt ?) bud vase , could it possibly be by Gullaskruf ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »
I don't think these ones are Gullaskruf, which have much more tapered and slightly longer (in proportion to the rest of the bottle) necks.
I've got a pale blue (cased over white) one, like yours, and a deep red one with a big round dent in it. I'm digging in the most remote areas of long lost memories, I've seen one with a label (can't remember if it's mine or not) I think it might have been Alsterfors - but I may be completely wrong. I'm afraid mine are all packed away, I've not a clue which box they're in either.
I don't call these bud vases, bud vases have round, often solid, glass bottoms, often with bubbles in.
These are long-necked bottles or flasks.
However, Pat (Bubbles) might be able to tell you if these are ever described as bud vases. Pat's the Bud Vase Lady. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »
Thanks very much Sue,

Thank goodness you have changed your name back...you know for one split-second I thought you were serious !  :wsh:  ;)

Goodness me I really thought it was a bud vase !....back to the drawing board again. I get away from the drawing board for a few minutes ..and then I'm back there  !! :bsh: ::)

I assume this is thinly blown lead crystal glass. It certainly isn't cased. I don't think a Cobalt blue would have come in any other type of glass but I may be talking a load of tribble...sorry twaddle  :D

Coming from Bristol I thought it might be Bristol Blue but there is real age to the base and a whole pile of dust inside which could only have got there over a longish period of time. Cheers, Mike.

Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
I'm sure bud vase have much smaller bottoms.

I have a bit of a "thing" about bottles this shape (not the moretti satinised ones though). They remind me of volumetric flasks used in labs - I used to work in labs, I loved volumetric flasks, they're so elegant - and they're such a fantastic design for doing what they do, so well. (*nostalgic sigh*)
I had a massive olive green Gullaskruf one.
Michael dropped a heavy copper lobster (bottle opener) on it. Bye-bye beautiful bottle! :cry:

I do think these are more likely to be soda glass than crystal. Cobalt does colour soda glass blue. Honest!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:31:42 PM »
Thanks Sue,

It is definately soda glass then ! Far too light for lead crystal ...this rules out Bristol Blue !

Here is a profile shot which shows an asymmetery from only one view . I am assuming this is deliberate and might give a design clue  ! or not.. !
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »
I can see it's triangular :thup:

I think, though my description wasn't clear  :-[ - when I said the Gullaskruf necks were "more tapered", I meant they were far slimmer at the top - the neck itself is not far off being straight - not "widely" flared like this one is.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »
could it be Elme perhaps?  I have a couple of Elme vases that are similar, one flattened, one triangular but they are cased over white and a paler turquoisy gradiated blue.
The shape just reminded me of them though.
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:59:58 PM »
Cheers Sue,

It is triangular but the triangle isn't an equilateral one. Hence the asymmetery. If you look at the shot of the base you can see it there too. It's subtle, that is why I hope it was intended and might give a clue ! I've now measured it and it is near enough equilateral so I take this last statement back ! Sorry ! :-[

P.S. Cheers M I will look on the internet for examples.
Mike

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 10:34:21 PM »
Way to big for a bud vase, you could stick a branch in there. ;D

I would look to Italy, maybe Empoli, reminds me of this triangular 'Alrose' vase with a white spiral: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31712.msg172331.html#msg172331

John

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »
Thanks John,

Here are some Gullaskruf vases  :huh: I found at 20thC Glass . None of which have a triangular shape ....but some of the necks are similar .

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/scandinavian_glass/gullaskruf_glass/gullaskrufglass_home.html

I'm not so sure about Italy....there again I thought It could be from Bristol !  :24:  ::)
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand