No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Because Holmegaard isn't confusing enough.  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Because Holmegaard isn't confusing enough.
« on: January 08, 2006, 11:25:14 AM »
You'll regularly see these tall, heavy-bottomed smoked glasses on eBay - sometimes with labels, which is great, and then sometimes without, which is fine too, because the design is so distinctive, you take it for granted that they're Holmegaard.

But... ARGH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 02:46:47 PM »
Granted :lol:

Obviously, Holmegaard. No doubt the buyer will remove the labels and list them properly.

Offline Vecila

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 04:31:50 PM »
That seller is using "key word spamming", a practice that is a violation of eBay's rules--you know, that agreement everyone indicated they read when they joined eBay.  Sheesh!

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 05:19:35 PM »
Velicia
There is no better keyword than Holmegaard (spelled correctly !) for this type of glass. If the seller had visited here they would have a proper attribution and multiple *names* would be unnecessary.

As to keyword spamming in general see the topic in the Cafe on this.

The "Handmade for Gematex" label may be explainable ie the Swedish importer of Holmegaard.

Nic, are you suggesting that the smaller glasses are also Homegaard ? in which case the Maleras labels would have been stickered !!!!  :roll:
Pete

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 05:48:49 PM »
Have I missed a subtle nuance here, or just being plain thick? (If you agree I'm thick, be gentle about it :lol: )
These can't really be a set, the colour of the large and small glasses differ.
If they carry original tags, then it is unlikely they are Holmegaard in disguise.
I would not be surprised at such an instance of what I now call "parallel designs", given the close geographical proximity of the two countries in question.  

regards,

Marcus

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 05:51:19 PM »
I'm not sure if either of them are Holmegaard, to be honest.

Both of the sets seem to have different colouring, but the smallest ones seem closer to a Holmegaard smoke colour. The tall ones look to have a hint of blue/purple in all of the pictures.

But it seems a little strange that someone would sticker a well-known manufacturer's glassware with the labels of a lesser-known company, so it's very possible that they're 'in the style of', bordering on plaguerism.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 05:52:24 PM »
Ah, you beat me to it, Marcus.  :lol:

The main reason I posted the link was for people to be a little cautious when buying this style of glass, for it seems all that is smokey is not Holmegaard.

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 06:07:04 PM »
Nic,
As you say these may well be exactly what the ticket says, Maleras, and a "generic" but Swedish, production for Genatex.

Issues such as the glass colour help, but I would also expect there to be minor but sufficient differences, the rate of the curvature, a slightly wider rim, or larger or smaller height as well, to avoid litigation.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »
You're right... Plaguerism is too strong a word... as is plagiarism  :lol:  (It's a Sunday, I'm allowed to be dozy!).

But the similarity of these two sets to Holmegaard's 'Copenhagen' range is still distinctly uncanny.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 06:14:52 PM »
ooops I mis-read your original posting Nic. I thought you were saying that you KNOW that they are Holmegaard.

So Phew ...having cleared that up ...no I don't think they are all part of a matching set either and as you rightly point out the Maleras are unlikely to be stickered.....so that's 3 misunderstsndings cleared.

However I do think that Gemtex is more likely to be a wholesaler, retailer and/or importer and a maker unless anyone can disabuse me of that notion. If so, then that label tells us very little and does not necessarily preclude Holmegaard .....right ?  

Googled: Gemtex Sweden  - no results
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand