No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Crane?  (Read 4653 times)

Offline elainemary53

• Members
Kosta Crane?
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »
Hi.  Newcomer to message board and glass novice so please bear with me. I have a very pretty glass crane (at least I think its a crane!). marked on base Kosta LF12. Have looked on web and found that Vicke Lindstrand made hand formed birds and these were signed LF but only using numbers 1-7. Bird is 9 inches tall; mottled white and grey in clear glass, with a orange blaze to the head.  Any advice is much appreciated.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Kosta Crane?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:50:32 AM »
Hi:

Welcome to the GMB and what an interesting piece to start with. Swedish Glass Factories by Helmut Ricke show an LF1, LF2 (both seagulls),  LF3 (penguin), LF4 (crane), and LF7  (Magpie) in the 1955-6 catalogue. The crane is described as pale green with a red head, and is shown on what looks a square wooden base, rather than the glass base yours appears to be on.  The Kosta catalogues end at 1962-3, so I wonder if your crane is a later addition. The height in the catalogue is given as 360 cm, taller than your one.

Some pictures against a plain background and pictures of the base with the signature would help.

There are some posts for help with photographs if you do a search.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline elainemary53

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »
Hi David. Thanks for reply. I had wondered if this wee crane had been made later than the ones I'd read about. I bought him in a charity shop a few months back for the princely sum of £3; stuck on a top shelf and thought he would look better elsewhere! Thanks for advice on photo background to publish on board. I just took a quick pic of where crane sits in my house!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »
Elaine it is useful to post photos of the base showing the signings.  Some people have significant expertise with certain makers and can assist you in limiting the maker or perhaps eliminating certain people as makers.  Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline elainemary53

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:20:14 PM »
Thanks, Ross. Trying to get a good pic of base with markings - not easy!  I'll keep trying.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
If you're having a problem getting it in focus, take it from a distance away with zoom - then crop down to the signature (eg with Irfanview)

Mod: Text converted from all upper case to sentence case - to avoid the appearance of shouting.

Offline elainemary53

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a try.

Offline elainemary53

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:45 PM »
Have had a go at photographing mark on base - best I can achieve I'm afraid even with helpful advice!

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »
Here's another one with a different signature -

http://www.modernistglass.com/glasspieces/view/2487

and another signed LF 12

http://www.graphio-buro.com/item/craft/kosta-glass.html - yours for £200 + p&p from Japan !

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
Well found Taylog I have attached the signature from the second crane you found which looks to be the same as Elaine's.  I suspect it is supposed to be the Australian Crane called a brolga see photo also appended.

Ross.

Mod: Copyright images removed. Please see the link in Christine's post below for the alternative signature.

And for the image of the brogla crane, see this link from the ozanimals website:
http://www.ozanimals.com/Bird/Brolga/Grus/rubicunda.html
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand