No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Kosta Cased Bowl - Signature and Mark Info Needed  (Read 8154 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Small Kosta Cased Bowl - Signature and Mark Info Needed
« on: February 07, 2011, 02:25:17 PM »
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me determine the markings on the bowl below, fairly, sure it reads 'kosta' although the script isn't that clear.

The base I think reads Kosta SH 180/43.

Any thoughts on date/ designer etc greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Greg

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Small Kosta Cased Bowl - Signature and Mark Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
Mona Morales-Schildt, 1960s.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:57:11 PM »
Many thanks for the quick reply Martyn, Much appreciated.

Would you happen to know what the 180/43 refers too?  - Is it just as simple as the 43rd one produced out of a total of 180..?

Thanks,
Greg

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
Nah, that's wishful thinking!

Pattern no 180, 43 probably refers to a variation, possibly size.

John

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:33:55 PM »
thanks John, probably wishful thinking on my part, always living in hope!
 :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »
It looks like a Mona Morales-Schildt piece, but I thought SS was her code (at least it is on Ventana pieces). I can't seem to find a good list of the codes for 50'-60's Kosta. John or Martyn: can you suggest a source.

Thanks.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 09:01:56 AM »
Good point, according to data in Smoke & Ice the code for Mona Morales-Schildt designs is SS (the book offers little further help). Given that the company has changed the format for their codes several times maybe an email to the current company would bear fruit: info@kostaboda.se

John

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »
Thanks all - think Martyn was spot on. Searching online, there's several Mona Morales Schildt pieces which all carry the 'SH' code, couple of examples below.  Also seen one very similar to my piece, although in a slightly larger size, which as John suggests the numbering after the pattern code, would appear to refer to size variations.

http://www.modernistglass.com/glasspieces/view/2744

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Miniature-Rare-Mona-Morales-Schildt-Kosta-Boda-Vase-/260732934223

Whilst typing this thread, just came across a couple of the Ventana examples on the web and I see what David means, these pieces confusingly do seem to carry the SS mark. I pretty sure that the 'SH' mark does belong to Mona Morales Schildt, however, am still slightly puzzled while the Ventana pieces are marked SS. I wonder if it was something specific to do with the Ventana Range..?

Quite often more information, brings more questions! - sure a quick email to Kosta will sort this one out.

Thanks all.

Offline cjf

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:57:54 AM »
This follows the same logic as e.g. the pieces made by Vicke Lindstrand. The "S" indicates Morales-Schildt just like the "L" signals Lindstrand, and the "H" indicates hand-formed/uncut while the "S" indicates cut. So the difference here is that e.g. the Ventana pieces have been cut, while this bowl has not.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »
Following on from that does anybody know what 'Sa. S' means. I'm pretty sure it's a Mona M-S piece, it's a two colour bowl with mirror cuts, but I cant work out (or find another example of) the 'Sa' part.

Full mark is 'Kosta Sa. S 5775'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand