No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed please from a Mdina collector......  (Read 13120 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Help needed please from a Mdina collector......
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 05:27:33 PM »
but it is that classic design that was introduced at Whitefriars by Harry Dyer in the 1950's that is the possible link that Boffo might have brought with him?

Certainly, we know that the Boffos introduced technique to production at Mdina, the use of polished out pontil marks for one. There are also the beak vases from Mdina (only seen two or three so far) that are very reminiscent of Whitefriars so perfectly reasonable to expect them to have borrowed from other designs too (how can I put this without people getting the wrong idea.... Sue's Jugs are another example).  ;D
I wonder if they contributed anything to Whitefriars when they arrived from their training and work in Italy, would that have been part of the ethos there?

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
I disagree completely about Christine's weight needing a mould.
My early RCA and Glasshouse pieces have (much bigger) bubbles with exactly the same sort of colour formations around them as the small bubbles in Christine's weight. It is the presence of the salts and their chemical interactions with the metal which CAUSE the bubbles to form - with the ambers around the bubble grading into yellows. At the edge of the yellowy bits, the glass is clear and blue - there is no evidence of any migration towards the bubble, which would leave yellow trails.

The colour comes from the silver metal ions. Chlorine is a gas. The heat of the molten glass dissociates the two chemicals. So gas for a bubble needen't even come from dissolved gas in the metal - the chlorine may well be it's source.

How were you thinking salts might might achieve a migration towards a bubble, Patrick?
It doesn't make any sort of chemical or physical sense (not to me anyway!)

But I do need to find out how exactly, the salts were introduced. I don't know if they were, for example, suspended in an oil, or dissolved in an oil, or simply used as crystals, or ground crystals.....

It's quite nasty stuff, going by how it would be used in a lab, it would be more likely to be in a carrier than used "raw" - I think that is something folk would try to avoid.

With regard to my cocktail jugs, while they are a very similar shape to some jugs produced at wfs, this was a style which was becoming very common and popular around the late '60s- '70s - folk started travelling around Europe on holidays a lot more, and sangria became fashionable.
Jugs with lips around the spout to hold back ice and bits also became popular. I really don't think they're an "exclusively wfs" shape!!!!!!!!

Re. the beaked Mdina pieces, there is mine, which is of the correct period to be Boffo.
There are two known others which have been seen - one in a much more "jewel-like" blue with no marks or labels, and with pulled-up bits (seen by suzygpr, I have a photo) - the other was seen by Mark Hill, in Prague, with a plastic label.
The colour of the one seen by Suzy, and the plastic label on the one Mark's seen, both indicate far more recent production - probably '90s onwards. We can forget about them.

The slim, wide flanges on the tops of things were a Boffo trait. Before they introduced these, the (now highly desirable) button rims were used.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Hi Sue,
 I am 100% certain that a bubble mould was used, if you look at the bubbles they are not random but in lines and all the sames size. It would be incredibly hard to arrange granules on a marver and then pic them up.
 As to how silver chloride works I have no idea but I think Adam has some and has tried using it.

I have attached the a pic. of the paperweight where I have indicated the lines/rows of bubbles and also a pic. of Adam's duck that are powder coloured  showing how the color migrates ..........

Regards,
                Patrick.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »
There are 16 bubbles in the circumference, but not all the bubbles have silver chloride; a few are quite naked. Some bubbles are over it, some are under it; and the amount of silver chloride is quite variable. The bubbles are in horizontal and slightly curved diagonal lines. They get a bit smaller at the top.

I've just tried to take some better photos, but couldn't get anything any better.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
Just drop the stuff on the marver through a grid/sieve thing.
Easy-peasy.

The beasts you show are coloured with enamels - a completely different kettle of fish to silver chloride (or silver and chlorine.

I didn't know it had naked bubbles, Christine - do they comply with the regular pattern?
Naked bubbles may imply a mould.
I think lines going curved would have something to do with the thing being worked afterwards.

It was the regularity of pattern that made me suggest a tentative Phoenician - the work from there is just a lot "tighter" and neater than that at Mdina.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »
The few naked bubbles are in the rows.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:06 PM »
So, we're not really any further on.
It could be your weight was made with a mould, but if so, was it made in Malta, or somewhere else? And when? (more precisely than in the last 40 years!)
Are moulds used at Phoenician Glass? I don't know.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »
Big silver chloride bubbles from Dillon Clarke '73, (not '71, sorry :-[ )

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/P5130020.jpg

Complex silver chloride bubbles from Pauline Solven, RCA, '67.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/PaulineSolvenRCA67.jpg
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 08:07:13 PM »
Lovely that Solven vase......

It was more the techniques or perhaps design elements of the jugs Sue (I took that photo of the jewel like beaky btw). Bizare timing but here is a jug on ebay. The spout is similar on this Whitefriars jug.

John

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
There are 16 bubbles in the circumference, but not all the bubbles have silver chloride; a few are quite naked. Some bubbles are over it, some are under it; and the amount of silver chloride is quite variable. The bubbles are in horizontal and slightly curved diagonal lines. They get a bit smaller at the top.

That is so good to hear.........  Just maybe the same bubble mould !
 I think we need to be 100% sure my fat duck is in Mdina colours , they look right to me but I do not collect Mdina .
 Are we also thinking your weight was made at Mdina ?

I will be happy if at least 2 or more can confirm those facts .......................

Best wishes, Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand