No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ANTIQUE 'MADE IN GERMANY GLASS' TEXTURED  (Read 4537 times)

Offline RZA

• Members
ANTIQUE 'MADE IN GERMANY GLASS' TEXTURED
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
I have A SET of two glass lamps that are extremely old (i think).  One has a makers mark on it, the other does not.  Google has found me nothing in regards to the makers mark and/or description of the lamps.

MADE IN GERMANY GLASS

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IDENTIFYING THE MAKER OR AGE OF THIS GLASS...

-RZA

p.s
my pics were too large to post here so i uploaded to imageshack.

link >>>>http://img687.imageshack.us/g/001mxs.jpg/

Offline RZA

• Members
Re: ANTIQUE 'MADE IN GERMANY GLASS' TEXTURED
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »
is it safe to assume these are worthless?  i would imagine if they were of value, surely one viewer would have said something :cry:

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »
I don't think you can assume that from not getting an answer... knowing this forum, if someone actually knows for sure they're cheap imitations they'll tell you so. No answer usually means they can't tell? Maybe the right person hasn't looked at it - give it a bit of time.

I'm more into post-1945 German mid century modern-style glass vases myself, which means I know nothing about lamp bases and pieces that are pre-war or imitating the pre-war look, so I'm afraid I can't help you along...

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline RZA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »
thanks for the reply.  im in no hurry or anything, i will await more responses.

thanks again. :sm:

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
Hi RZA
I´m leaning towards post wwii for your lamps, just a hunch though. Unfortunately I can´t help
you with a maker. Personally I´d suspect one of the makers known for their more or less
intensive use of gold in that years like ´Joska´ or ´Füger und Taube´. The first one is still
existent - might be worth contacting them?
http://www.joska.com/oeffnungszeiten-service/kontakt-ansprechpartner.html
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
I think you may never find out because it says Glass Made in Germany, which means the rest of it was probably made in the USA, otherwise its country of origin would also have to be marked. That sort of thing was likely a special commission and won't appear in any catalogue. What I can't remember is when the law stating imports to the USA had to be labelled with the country of origin. The Germany seems to indicate that they either date to post-1990 or pre-1945. They are dusty but I'm not convinced they are over 60 years old.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »
The Germany seems to indicate that they either date to post-1990 or pre-1945
Not necessarily, Christine. The division of Germany wasn´t accepted as a permanent state,
especially not in the first years after WWII. It took some years until this difference would have
been stated on labels; then mainly to emphasize a certain assumed quality standard by adding
´Western-´. Some west-german labels, e.g. Gralglas still only read ´Germany´ in the 70´s.  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:52:45 AM »
While I do not know who made the glass I will say the the dolphin type base with four dolphins & the contoured base plate is not at all unusual on a great many 50's up to 60's lamps in the U.S., especially those that are more modern Czech rendition cutting, always large lamps & sometimes the base is brass finished & sometimes its the cheap laquered over silverplate.  If I've seen one I've seen 50 of these identical bases over the years. Hers a pic of the base of one I bought for $10 a couple of months ago...the lamp body is probably Czech, 28" tall & 12 lbs. Figured it was worth more than $10 even if it is gaudy. Ken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 07:32:19 AM »
Thanks for that info Dirk. (So such info is really only useful if it says W. Germany)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand