No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for cut lamp shade  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for cut lamp shade
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »
Had hoped that this was going to have a Walsh back stamp, but no mark whatsoever that I can find.    The cover is made of what looks to be a Bakelite type material, and the inside of it is stamped  'DUROID' and 'BRITISH MADE' - so I guess this must date it to be at least the '50's or perhaps earlier.    The shade is c. 6"/155mm long, and appears to be very well cut.          I've looked through the patterns in the back of Reynolds, but nothing quite like this, I don't think.       Suppose the glass might have been made/cut outside the UK, and just provided with a cover that was made here, but only guessing.      Shade for a wall do people think, and if anyone does have any ideas on this please let me know, and thanks for looking :)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Re: id request for cut lamp shade
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »
I found this, it could be related... http://www.trademarkia.com/rtduroid-72339229.html
r RT/DUROID is FIBER REINFORCED PLASTIC SHEET MATERIAL FOR GENERAL INDUSTRIAL PURPOSES, PARTICULARLY FOR USE IN THE MANUFACTURE OF GASKETS. SEALS, SELF-LUBRICATING BEARINGS AND ELECTRICAL INSULATING COMPONENTS.

Filing Date: 9/29/1969
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
many thanks TC.......so not really like Bakelite then, and more of a modern fibreglass material.        Bit disappointing, as I'd hoped this shade might have been from the 1930's or thereabouts.
Details of the US registration, as shown in your link, are for 1969, although I see it also comments that the first use of the product was in 1963, so I'm not quite sure about the intervening years  -  although bearing in mind how mine is marked then obviously at some point in its life there seems to have been a licence granted for UK manufacture of Duroid.
However, for the time being it doesn't really help with knowing who made the glass, so will hope perhaps to find a catalogue or book image some time.     Probably looks good when 'all lit up'.         thanks again. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:38:40 PM »
It looks like the sort of shade you find on table lamps with an impossibly proportioned slightly draped, female made of bronze or spelter, holding up a torch, statue of liberty style.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
thanks Sue, sounds right up my street  -  in fact you can even forget the 'impossibly proportioned' bit ......I'll just go for the female ;)    However, in my mind I had it down as a piece from a more formal setting  -  but who knows. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:10:16 PM »
Paul, according to this, Duroid goes back before the trademark date TC found earlier (which might have been a renewal date, as they were granted for 20 years I think?)
"The first grades of fiber-reinforced polymer materials - named Duroid® - for gaskets and electrical insulation were introduced in 1949."
Source: http://www.rogerscorp.com/documents/1626/about/Rogers-History.aspx (gives a PDF file download - see page 2.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand