No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ghostly figure in a vase ID = possibly Charles Meaker  (Read 4405 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
ghostly figure in a vase ID = possibly Charles Meaker
« on: October 05, 2004, 11:11:17 AM »
just acquired this vase off ebay its 4" high and 3.5" across the base and is very freaky with and ghostly figure in the base of an old woman, looks like Queen victoria, which i say would be impossible to do, it has been done on black glass medallion with silver leaf then pushed up into the bottom of the vase with a snapped of pontil, the rim of the vase has a black glass trail a round the rim, anyone seen anything like it?

cheers Ray

Mod: The pictures from this post have been deleted by Imagestation or the owner, and the thread has been retained for information. The GMB recommends using the new attach facility, or the Glass Gallery, to add permanent images to your own posts. Click here for more info.
cheers Ray

Anonymous

ghostly figure in a vase
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 05:03:16 PM »
Hi,

Your vase looks Italian to me. While I see some resemblence to the Queen, I think that it might be an accident.  Some people see shapes in the clouds or inkspots, you're seeing them in glass!

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
ghostly figure in a vase
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 03:19:05 AM »
Ray, Do you still have this piece ?
It is extraodinary.
I admit I can't see Q Vic. :roll:
Pete

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
ghostly figure in a vase
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 04:36:05 AM »
Interesting piece for sure!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
ghostly figure in a vase
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 08:10:47 AM »
If you say it's The Holy Virgin, you could claim divine intervention and sell it for a fortune!  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
ghostly figure in a vase
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 10:43:03 AM »
Fascinating image!  But looks more like Dot Cotton (Queen of the Vic) :lol:

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline RAY

• Members
ghostly figure in a vase
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 10:55:55 AM »
yep i've still got old Vic in mouring
cheers Ray

Offline Leni

• Members
ghostly figure in a vase
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 11:08:05 AM »
I can see her too, Ray!  I reckon it's just a 'cloud picture' though  :wink:

Following Max's theme, I reckon you'd do better claiming it was Mother Teresa!  :lol:

BTW, I found a whole load of images of Mother Teresa the other day!  :shock:  

In a box of raisins  :lol: :lol:  :lol:

IGMC  :oops: :roll:
Leni

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
ghostly figure in a vase
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 11:22:25 AM »
I think that this is most likely by Charlie Meaker and made in Sunderland during the late 1980's or early 1990's. He was teaching at what was then Sunderland Polytechnic, now Sunderland University, but he had a commercial studio running at the same time. These are distant memories, so I'm not quite sure of the dates. Subsequently Phoenix glass may have produced something.

The impression of Queen Victoria is one of those totally random things that happens when one overlays pieces of sillver leaf.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand