No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Keep your glass safe at all times.  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Keep your glass safe at all times.
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:38:01 AM »
Hi something we all need when you collect glass Museum gel to save your  :cry: click the link below.

http://tinyurl.com/6jsfljc

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Keep your glass safe at all times.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:49:50 AM »
The entire Saviati collection that was given to Stanford was broken in an earthquake. I wondered why Salviati would give the collection to a place that had frequent earthquakes.

I used the QuakeHold for a while just to keep my glass safe. One problem is that it held so well, I almost had to break some of my glass to get it free. It wasn't like glue, but it sure had a tight seal. I won't use it on delicate things anymore. Nothing broke, but it was not fun.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:11:49 PM »
Hi earth quake is different gel i think but i know tha Museum gel is the way forward  :hiclp:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
Have to tell you this little story, if only to alert you to this being a possibility......

We were expecting visitors, and I decided it was time for a clean and polish in the lounge.  John volunteered to do the vacuuming......before he started,  something made him look at the lovely cabinets I had made late last year to house some of my collection. ( I think Anne has photos???)

"Rosie,  he said,  can you take the glass out of the cabinets very carefully please?"
"I wasn't going to clean the cabinets!" I said.
"Well, still empty them please,  but very carefully."
"Why?"
"Look at the plastic pins they have used to support the glass shelves!"

I looked, and to my horror,  they were all starting to droop, distorted by the weight of the shelves and glass animals!!

Whilst I was emptying the cabinets and cleaning the animals, he just machined up 40 metal pegs to replace the plastic ones..................oh thank goodness for Handy Hubbies!!  I dread to think of what might have happened if he hadn't noticed.

Another little anecdote with a cautionary element....check your shelf supports!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:42:12 PM »
Hi Roise been there got the tea shirt in so much as when i see old units with metal pins i keeps them have quite a few if any one is interested  :chky:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand