No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson Pearline - odd shape - whatizzit?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Davidson Pearline - odd shape - whatizzit?
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »
We're flummoxed. At first, we thought we knew what it was, but we're really not sure. It's a gorgeous piece of blue Pearline (96945 pattern) but the shape is not one we have come across before in this pattern. We'd really welcome your thoughts.

Photos and explanation are all here:
http://www.thistlewoods.net/Pearline.html

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Davidson Pearline - odd shape - whatizzit?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
Hi Glen, what a strange coincidence!  I'd never seen one of these before until this morning...someone emailed me with a picture of one of these, attached to a mirror, to see if I could find a matching one for them.  I'll ask them for permission to post their picture here.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »
I noticed the two (or more) lugs about the halfway point and wondered if it was a vase that fitted into a holder - I would suspect the holder would be cast metal of some sort.  The idea of it attached to a mirror would suggest it was for small items like a lipstick for instance.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
There is another Davidson pattern that is similar in style, and I have also seen it sitting in a metal holder and on each side of an old mirror.  That particular pattern is shaped like a vertical cornucopia.  As more than one pattern was made and is mounted to the frame of a mirror (and the cornucopia does not lend itself in shape to being used to hold cosmetics), it might just be a small posey vase to brighten up the bathroom.  The mirrors I have seen were large enough that it might have also been used in the front hallway to check appearance before leaving the house.  I personally think the way I have seen it mounted on mirror frames is that it was made as a small posey vase, but alternate uses could naturally be found.  The one original mirror I saw (complete with brackets) had a vase on each side of the vertical frame, about 1/3rd way down from the top.  That positioning would also suggest it was for flowers.

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
Mounted to either side of a mirror they could also be candleholders. Just the thing for the boudoir.

(Ross lipstick was actually banned in Victorian Britain because Victoria though it only suitable for prostitutes. It also didn't come in tubes until 1915)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »
Wayne, Ross, Dave, Christine - thank you all so very much. It does seem that a metal holder is the key here - we need to hunt for something like that to see what the effect would be. It would look very pretty with a little posy of flowers inside, and how delightful it would be with the mirror image too.

Thank you so much.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
Not knowing its age I suppose it wouldn't be a type of car vase that was held in place by a metal bracket collar. We had them in the U.S. from the turn of the century into the mid 20's when they went out of style...simply used as decorative in nature & some were fairly fancy. Ken

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »
Ohio:  This might have been a 'buggy' vase, but not a car vase.  the pattern was a registered design in 1888.  No cars yet!  LOL

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »
True its a bit early & probably too fancy although we had steam cars running in 1878 & gas cars by 1893. It just reminded me of vases used with collars like the Benzer I have, long shot SWAG. Not to hijack the thread, but Mr. Vaseline Glass...ever see a keg like this?  15" high X 23" circumference. Ken

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 07:48:02 PM »
Ken, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it's the right shape or height for a car vase. I do actually have a Carnival Glass car vase and the proportions are quite different. This is more of a stubby shape - it would take a few short stemmed violets but nothing longer. And I don't think we used car vases much in the UK really (if at all). And of course, the timing's a bit wrong.

And as for hi-jacking my thread.....well, you naughty man! :hj:  ;D

Glen  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand