No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID's please ? Did the Chinese invent paperweights?  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
ID's please ? Did the Chinese invent paperweights?
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:46:25 AM »
More Chinese weights?
My ignorance on paperweights has obviously not improved.
These were a gift and I like them, the pink one in particular, but who made them?

Many thanks. :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 06:45:41 PM »
More Chinese weights?
Yes, modern Chinese, crimp Lily I suspect. Specific maker not known. Three thin, pale green "leaves" are a regular feature in these weights.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »
Thanks Kev,
They were from my two youngest children, bless.
I was impressed at the fact that they even knew that I was a glass lover.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 09:07:03 AM »
I like these, particularly the pink one!   :D

I havea couple like this, but they all vary more than you might think, as it is possible to use different numbers of 'petals' and different 'stamens' in the middle.  And many different colours of course, some even using graded shades of colour.  And the edges of the petals may have a different number of 'dents' depending on how many were cut into the edge of the crimp.  

It's easy to take one glance and write them off as same-same, but often they have many interesting variations, and aren't all 'dime-a-dozen' copies of the same weight!    :wink:
Leni

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 10:55:52 AM »
Hi Leni,

Nice to see you back. I hope you feel tons better and that you had a great time.
Thank you for the comments. The pink one is my favourite as I said. The petals really do look real, the children thought that they had been stripped from a real flower. The stamen, in particular, is extremely life like.
Chinese or not, I will cherish them.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:19:21 PM »
Signed Chinese weight here...

link to paperweight sellers site

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 09:24:07 PM »
And a very early Chinese paperweight, Ming Dynasty 500 odd years old... Boy on Buffalo,  OK it is not glass but not all paperweights are. So perhaps the Chinese invented the paperweight as well as porcelain, paper, ink and democracy :shock:

http://kaladarshan.arts.ohio-state.edu/exhib/jade/pgs/jad3/C6242M.html

looking further
The tools of the scholar, the "four treasures" distinguishing him from the common tradesman, were those of writing-brush, inkstone, ink, and paper. The scholar hoped to become proficient in the art of poetry, painting, and, most importantly, calligraphy -- the "three perfections." Brushes, inkstones, paper weights, wrist rests, and other related paraphernalia became coveted items in the scholar's study as reproduction of these items reached a high level of refinement

http://mcclungmuseum.utk.edu/specex/chischol/chischol.htm

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 09:39:23 PM »
Nice website Frank :wink:

Offline jdsalinger

• Members
    • http://www.anti-slavery.org
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 03:28:04 PM »
These are a good example of how Chinese glass is moving forward. The quality gets better and better and as their skills develop you will undoubtedly start seeing very fine examples to rival the famous names in the future.

The paperweight market is growing and is multi-level. There is room for everybody, from the serious collector down to the person who just likes pretty things. If you add up all the paperweights that have been made in the world in the last ten years, everybody you know should have at least 17. So where are they? Surely Leni and Ray can't have them all hidden away?!

Everything is relative. Some people would prefer to own a second home and not drive an expensive car. Others drive a Porsche and live in a one room apartment. Some people would buy a Clichy paperweight. Others would regard that as a ridiculous expense, since the same purpose can be achieved with a so-called inferior and less expensive weight of the same size.

Some people will pay £500 for a bottle of wine, others will pay£5. It's essentially the same drink, with the same volume and arguably the same effect. Should we to teach children only to drink Chateau Lafite?

But what if we follow the logical conclusion? We are going to be in big trouble, because there just aren't enough "good" paperweights by Whitefriars, Ysart, Perthshire, Baccarat, Clichy and so on to go around!! As more people start collecting things can only get worse.

Hypothetically speaking, if we were talking stocks and shares here, I think there is an interesting pattern. Someone seems to be trying to force up the prices of a certain type of stock by talking them up, maybe in order to off-load at a profit, while at the same time forcing down the prices of others by dismissing them, so that he can corner the market. Surely this couldn't be happening with paperweights? Or could it?

....Anyhow, sounds like you've got great kids, with great taste, and I reckon that you will get more pleasure out of these paperweights that were chosen carefully with love and affection, than if you won the lottery and could go out and buy any Clichy paperweight.
he most wasted of all days is one without laughter - e e cummings

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 03:56:40 PM »
Hello jdsalinger,
Thank you. Yes I have 6 fantastic children, all of whom respect that one persons idea of beauty is not necessarily that of another. I have also taught them that it is not the size or value of a gift that matters, but the thought that goes into the choosing of such.
I think I will now go and have a glass of my 5 euro a bottle wine. :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand