No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Marigold Carnival Glass bowl help with ID please - Country of Origin = Japan  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Mystery Carnival Rose Bowl ? or Sugar ?
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 12:48:55 AM »
Hi Deltab
Thank you for an ineresting link, would be nice to find some of there early pressed glass.

Glen
I have put two more photos in my gallary. I have had a good look at the bowl I can see mould seems for a four part mould.

Looking forward to your article.

Tony H in NZ

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 05:10:36 PM »
Tony (shouts Glen, waving madly) may I use your surname in the article? I don't know what it is. Can you email me to tell me, please? You can get my email from my webpage - there's a link bottom right on the Home page.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
Thanks, Tony :D

I've just finished the article. If there are any mistakes in it, email me please (link to my email is easily accessed via my website).

Article is here
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Japan.html
or you can go via my Home Page (link below)

I'll mention it in a new topic in case anyone else is interested.

Glen

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 07:11:17 PM »
Hi Glen
How do you do this, it can take me forever just to put something together for the GMB.

Wonderful piece Glen, I look forward to an update, I am very interested to find out about the moulds, how why were and what?

Tony H in NZ

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 09:49:18 AM »
Mike - Butchiedog - I just browsed through yesterday's eBay Glass Chat boards and I see you are asking there for info regarding Tony's bowl. I was fascinated to see the clear glass water pitcher that Julie has that's in exactly the same pattern. Most intriguing. There was quite an interesting exchange on the eBay board between you and Julie about it. I see she pointed you to our own Glass Message Board for discussion.

Here's a link to the pitcher that Julie showed on the eBay board.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~gjcheers/bullseyepitcher.JPG

I'll summarise the dialogue between Julie and Mike for the rest of you - as I am sure Tony will be interested.

Julie says that she wrote to some people who know EAPG very well. She received a reply from one of them that mentioned the US Glass Co's pattern 15092 (Star and Bullseye) as being similar to Julie's water pitcher. Julie also mentions that Crown Crystal made a similar pattern.

The chat on eBay went round in a kind of circle, as Julie pointed Mike toward my article on Japanese Glass that was inspired by Tony's bowl, so things sort of got in a loop for a while there.

I hope that Mike will report back to us if he finds anything out about this fascinating item. I was interested to see, Mike, that you say you are on a "Japanese glass kick" at the moment. You may find my article of interest - Juu-nin to-iro, link here on the GMB - my apologies if you have already read it. I will be most interested to hear about your future findings.

Anyhow, to address a couple of things that cropped up in the ebay exchange.

1. As Julie rightly said, the US Glass pattern 15092 Star & Bullseye, is not the same as Tony's bowl (and Julie's pitcher). It is similar (as are several other US Glass patterns) but it has a star in the centre of the bullseye, which Tony's bowl does not have.

2. I did actually go through all my Crown Crystal catalogs when Tony showed us the bowl. There are some similar-ish patterns, but I could not find one to match.

As I have noted in the article I posted yesterday on Japanese Glass, my own feeling is that these patterns were simply imitated by whatever company in Japan pressed the glass. United States Glass was exported to many countries, indeed they had a specific export catalog. Much went to South America - a place that many US Glass "look-alikes" have turned up. I suggest that the same thing happened with Japan.

Glen

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 10:36:56 AM »
HI Glen,
When I made mention to Mike about Crown Crystal, I later remembered that No they didn't do that, I had recollections of looking in my book  and at first thinking that the 2pint  jug from  67 series was very similar, but with 2 rows of bulleyes.When  I compared both I realised how wrong I was.Funny how the memory can play tricks on you. :roll:
Also should add too that I was told the Bulls Eye and fan pattern without the stars in the centre is also called Running Bullseye.With the Star was named Star in Bullseye
I'll enjoy watching this thread to see where it all leads. It was not 100% conclusive that my jug was USA.But I am sure there was no Made in Japan on it.
Also while here, I should add that some time back I posted a message here about an advertising plate moulded on the base with Regd No and Made in Japan.I can't for the love of me remember what it was advertising.But the lettering was done in tiny dotted glass around the rim and I do remember the word "RICHES" well I think I remember that word. I have tried doing a search but can't find my old post, so I am thinking that I would have posted tha,t when the message board was on the old site.I don't have the plate anymore.Can't remember if I sold it on eBay or whether it went to a market.I didn't even keep a copy of a pic, so I could show.  
Julie..

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 11:13:18 AM »
Julie - great to hear from you

Thank you so much for the extra info and clarification. It all helps build the bigger picture.

And yes, I am sure I remember you posting that plate with the Made In Japan lettering on. Your description rings a bell with me....the punched (dotted) lettering and so on. I do remember it. Oh for a time machine.....

Thanks again, Julie.

Glen

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »
Glen yes Oh for a time machine.I would love to be able to go back 15-20 yeas ago and get all the unidentified glass I sold over the years.Or even to just have good pics.But back then I didn't think it was possible to find out who and when glass was made.Thought it was all a big guessing game.Which really it was down here. Most glass back  then was IDed as Depression era or Victorian 1880.  :roll: But who would have thought back then, I would find the internet and spend so much time, browsing and learning,( well trying to learn anyway :lol: ) So much info and such a tiny brain to put it in.  :lol: But I love it.
BTW I enjoyed your Article too, don't think I mentioned that  before.I enjoy all your articles.Thanks for them all  :D
Julie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand