No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Livio Seguso Cockatoo and it glows...  (Read 4747 times)

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Livio Seguso Cockatoo and it glows...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »
Hi Rosie,

Thanks for the compliment on my cockatoo.  It is something to see.  I also have a Livio Seguso seal in smoke glass.  The seal was made for Gral Glashutte in Germany.  I believe the seal dates to 1976 when he did some work for Gral. 

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=21&pictureid=2042

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=21&pictureid=2043

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=21&pictureid=2044

The seal is not Murano but made by one of the best Muranese maestros (Livio Seguso).  The cockatoo is probably Murano and probably made for his own company "Livio Seguso" before Seguso A.V. was started.  I have seen several pieces with labels of uranium glass he made for his own company in Murano so that is what leads me to believe the cockatoo was made for his own company.

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 02:52:25 PM »
I almost forgot, Rosie.  Congrats for winning the SVdA birds!!!! :dance:  I was hoping someone from the group won them.  You will not be disappointed, but do me one favor, if you don't mind, when you get them.  Please tell me if you find any ash specks in the birds.  I have found ash specks in mine and I have a theory on the birds and wanted to see if it holds true.  I couldn't tell by the photos on Ebay if they contained ash in the glass or not.  I love to find ash in old pieces, it reaffirms the fact that the glass is old.  I am excited for you.  Trust me the birds are much better in person.

tam bam

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »
What a cute seal,  I am so pleased you shared him with us......and a signed piece as well!!  I wish all glass artists would sign their glass, don't you? 
Labels are so easily removed, lost, or even worse, transferred to other pieces.

A point in case is this lovely Glass Hare on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320655570219&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I just know it isn't Langham, in fact I wondered if it might be Marcolin or Ronneby,  but for some reason, someone has stuck a Langham sticker on it.  So now I am making a point of always asking if there is a SIGNATURE rather than just a label.

I love the cockatoo, and I was surprised to see it was as big as that....I imagined it to be a tiny piece. :usd:

I was just writing to ask had you forgiven me when I got a message to say you had written another reply!!

Thank you for saying you are glad I won them,  :kissy: I really wasn't going to bid,  but John said I could....and he has said he will take me to the Glass Fair as well!!!  :rah:

I will take loads of pictures and send them to you so you can see them for yourself, and if there are ash specks in them, I will take close-ups of those as well.

The birds are being posted 'Next Day. delivery today, so I should get them tomorrow.....I am SO excited. :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »
I really appreciate it, Rosie.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  If you don't want to post the pics on here you are certainly welcome to email them to me.  My email address is in my profile.  I really am excited for you and glad to know a collector bought them.  I was so hoping for that. 

Shame on that seller for transferring the label onto the rabbit.  It is a really nice rabbit.

tam bam

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »
Tami I think thats a good size for the design,  wish I had it  :cry:

Rosie, you got the birds , well done,  :hiclp:
martin

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »
Thank you Martin, it still hasn't sunk in!!

Now, do I  display them with the Murano glass, the bird collection, ot the opalescent pieces??  Decisions, oh my!  My head is spinning!  :ho:

If only we could do 3D emails tam bam, you could have them on display as well!!  NOw that is a thought!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand