No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Attention: Kane_U_Pain  (Read 3079 times)

Offline tam bam

• Members
Attention: Kane_U_Pain
« on: February 14, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
Hi Pain or to anyone out there who could provide me info on this bowl.  I am up in the air on whether it is a Flavio Poli bowl or an Archimede Seguso bowl or made by someone else.  Any info is welcome.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=120679631068&si=ZXD%252BAI3ulSnzCp%252F0sYFUa4TDGAA%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

tam bam

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Attention: Kane_U_Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
Not a form of A.Seguso I have ever seen.  Still I have hardly done an exhaustive check but have been looking intensely for the last 2 years.

Have a look at ebay.au for 280627129663 it is a large Archimede Seguso bedside lamp not my style but could be a good buy.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:49:15 AM »
The lamp is gorgeous, Ardy.  But please if you buy it put a more modern shade on it.  The shade has to go!!!!  It does the lamp no justice at all and plus if you add a shade you like then suddenly the lamp becomes your style.  I know I have worked in a lamp shop before and have seen some good lamps overwhelmed by their shades and it makes the lamp seem unappealing when it fact it is the shade that is the culprit of being unappealing.  Other than that the lamp is a super find.  :thup: 

Thanks for your comments on my bowl.   :fr:

tam bam

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:46:08 AM »
I had a look in "lace & stone" (Archimede Seguso),

your bowl looks the same as the sommerso blue conchiglia on page 108.
martin

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:15:08 AM »
Hi Soledivo - I know these bowls (page 108) pretty well and own one myself. Don't think it is AS and if I had to guess I would go with the ebay description of SvDA but don't know enough about them to make a call on it. Also looking through the sellers other items they seem to have a reasonable grasp of murano.

Still it is all supposition isnt it?  You could be right as AS worked with FP and SvDA and they do seem to cross over a fair bit.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 02:22:56 AM »
Ardy I'm sure you are correct with your knowledge of the subject,
I have zippo, hehe,

I'm up late with my back probs. and can't sleep,  and though I'd stick my oar in  :wsh:
martin

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 03:14:50 AM »
Hi tam bam. I can say it is not a shape I have come across before in my ever constant search for SVdA! But the style and colouring would be spot on for SVdA. I don't think it is by a 'Generic' maker.

I also have a bowl in this colour combination that I have as unconfirmed Poli but it is more polished and less free form. So until i see labelled piece or the book comes out I can't confirm my piece.

Although, back to piece you listed, it does have a look of A.S to it in the free form style. Could it possibly have been made by A.S for SVdA? I do have a few pieces made by A.S at SVdA.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »
I don't think it's AS, at least not conchiglia, as the bowl is folded over. And saying it's a 'Valva' is ridiculous, unless I've missed seeing an obscure version of it. Certainly,  it's not anything the versions of 'Valva' in either Ricke, 'Italian Glass' or in Olnick Spanu

I find this seller very inconsistent. Having said all that it looks like a decent piece, but $120 with clearly the wrong attribution?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 08:42:57 AM »
The colouring is similar to a piece shown on pg 104 of 'Lace & Stone'. I admit, I wouldn't call this a piece of the Valva series but the colour combination is similar. This piece listed by tam bam is definitely interesting.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:32:25 PM »
I found another one with the same colors and the person is attributing it to AS. 

http://cgi.ebay.it/VINTAGE-SEGUSO-CONCHIGLIA-VALVA-SHELL-BOWL-MURANO-GLASS-/370462029403?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564141f65b

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand