No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina "minaret"??? vase  (Read 9004 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina "minaret"??? vase
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »
I can only add that this is all correct. These are all Onion or Minaret bottles.
The Mdina website used to have the date of introduction of acid work in it's "History" section, but it's not there now, and they've got the date the Boffos arrived completely wrong.

These do not turn up too often in any colourway.
Just after Mark's book came out, a whole load of the stripey ones came out the woodwork, (well, maybe 10-20), but not many have been seen since.
Interesting to find that they were being made as late on as when the satination started, although I have to confess I don't like this finish on anything.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »
thanks for the info Sue, I agree its not my cup of tea either.

I have Marks book and probably let myself read the relevant info too fast. i've always had this bad habit.

thanks again  :kissy:
martin

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »
At the time the book was written, it was believed these were more scarce than they suddenly seemed to be after the book came out - but, as I said, they have been a bit more conspicuous by their absence since. To be honest, I'm not sure about the scarcity issue at all now. I rather think they can still use the "scarce" label after all.

What has come out is that the stripey ones were made after MH left - a few have turned up dated and signed by Joseph Said - they have also been seen with Eric Dobson's signature.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:10 AM »
thanks for that info Sue.

What intrigued me most about this one was buying it here in Australia and wondering how (and why too really) someone had carted it all the way over here. (unless of course Mdina exported direct to Australia?) It is not like it is a gorgeous little paperweight that would  slip in a pocket on the plane, and the migrant ships had stopped well before this was made.

I agree the matte finish doesn't work that well, I bought it because it was different, I had never seen Mdina with a matte finish before (it was also quite cheap) and the sheer size of it means I could never buy anything like this from overseas because of the freight cost, so for my collection it is a definite one off!

I'm pleased however that I now have the proper name for it.   thanks again, JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand