No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh England Wine Glasses  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Walsh England Wine Glasses
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 02:03:24 AM »
Roman, you can post up to four images per post - saves you having to do them separately. :thup: Click the more attachments link after the Browse button on the posting screen.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Roman71

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
Thanks for your help

I will try and source the book you reccomend as I am interested to learn more, think I could easily get hooked on Glass, very facinating stuff!

Again, thankyou for your help!

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »
Roman — Like Paul I've not yet found this exact pattern in the Walsh factory pattern books reproduced in Reynolds, but your lovely glasses are, I think, the third example of this cut pattern I've seen.   One I have in stock, a large lidded powder bowl, probably from a trinket set.   Note that I've not checked it for certain — I will probably see it next in my preparations for the Cambridge Fair at the end of the month and will check it then.   Let me know if you can bring a glass to Cambridge for direct comparison.

I suspect that the pattern might have been a retailer or wholesaler exclusive.   We know little about exclusives, as the deal was invariably not publicised, but we have evidence for a few.   We know of nonstandard colours of the Jobling Dancing Lady centrepiece for Marks & Spencer (see Baker & Crowe) and special colours and patterns made by Whitefriars for J. Wuidart & Co.   There is at least one exclusive to be found in the Walsh pattern books, and I strongly suspect that an exclusive deal explains the rarity of the Walsh signature range patterns Rainsford, Leigh, and Ryde.

All glassworks would have welcomed exclusive made-to-order-only deals.   Besides the obvious advantages to the retailer or wholesaler, the glassworks benefited from not having to publicise the pattern in the trade catalogue, from not having to make for and keep stock, and from not having to display the pattern in their showrooms or at exhibitions.

Don't forget to let me know if you're bringing a glass to Cambridge.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Roman71

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »
Thanks Paul and Bernard

I am going to try and source the book mentioned in previous posts

It has mad me more curious to find out more about these glasses and try to get the other 6 which were left to me in estate

I think I will stop using them and maybe put them in a display case

Thanks for your help!

Offline Roman71

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »
another picture

hope this one is clearer

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »
unfortunately, this picture is fuzzy also...........are you using a phone or camera?          Like many contributors to the GMB, I notice that you have not completed the fields for location etc., so don't know your whereabouts, which can be helpful with attributions, sometimes.           Believe the word 'estate' is used more frequently by those on the other side of the pond?     However, very attractive glasses (this is a favourite period of mine) and I hope you are successful in acquiring the remainder.     I agree, they need to be cosseted, otherwise pound to a penny one at least will get broken. :)

Offline Roman71

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
Hi Paul
I will try another pic later will take with my camera in some good light

I am based in machester UK, I have inherited from my late father, he collected all sorts of Glass and furniture

there are other examples I may be posting soon, heavily cut bowls and fruit dishes ect

I am definatley going to put them somewhere safe as after a glass or 2 I do get clumsy!

Offline Roman71

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »
Hope clearer?

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »

but stay on the general forum regardless

The point I was making is that even when things get identified they stay on the general part of the board.

Already looked at your vase Christine ;) :)

Nigel

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 11:59:52 AM »
Already looked at your vase Christine  ;)
and...? Does silence mean I might be right (hence the  ;) ) or I might be wrong?

I think the Mods are endeavouring to be more proactive in their moving of ID'd or known stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand