No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for decanter - ? Leerdam ?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for decanter - ? Leerdam ?
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »
old it isn't - but there is some quality, as shown by the matching Nos., and although I have looked thru Pina and Geary thinking that it might be Scandinavian, I don't see anything to match, and it reminds me very slightly of a ships decanter with that squat base.     The rather minimalist decration on the neck is certainly cut, and there is a ground/polished concave pontil on the base that measures a tad over 75mm in diameter.        One No. is just within the pontil, and the other is on the stub of the stopper - and although I would have said the style of the No. is continental, oddly the 'seven' lacks the typical short dash - so bit of a mystery.    Capacity wise it is a tad over threequarters of a litre, so wouldn't hold a full bottle of Harveys, but guess you cud drink the surplus immediately ;)     Height to top of stopper is something like 6.75"/170mm, and there is enough wear to make it perhaps 30 - 40 years old.     If anyone does recognize the design please do shout, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: id request for decanter.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »
Hi Paul  :hi:
What an interesting decanter......might we be able to see both of the numbers, the one on the stopper and the one on the base please?

Are you sure it is the right way up?  Might it be letters rather than a number? LG for example?

If it is a number, might it be 51, rather than 47?

I have seen a squat decanter very similar to this on my forays through Scandinavian glass, so I am going to see if I can do better than I have so far on the hot-worked bowl.....on the case :wsh:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
I dont know why but it looks Dutch to me , what say Ivo ?  I love it . :hi: :sleep:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »
appreciate your comments people, and thanks for taking the time to reply.     At work (as usual) but will upload a few more pics tonight, and will add some more thoughts. :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:01:34 PM »
I spend hours trawling Dutch glass, so that may be where I have seen it.  Could the initials be LG Paul...???Leerdam Glass (although that is usually pressed in the glass.  I have seen Copier pieces with a similar stopper.....and also Williamsburg pieces....Oh I so want to find it.. :wsh: 'cos I am sure I have seen it somewhere!
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:42:03 PM »
here then are some more shots of the matching stopper and base Nos.        Pictures 1 and 2 are of the stopper, and 3 and 4 show the same thing on the base, and depending on your point of view  -  one of each is obviously upside down ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: id request for decanter - ? Leerdam ?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
Subject tweaked to catch Ivo's eye if he's about.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:15:07 AM »
I love the 'Nuts & Bolts' structure of this decanter.....Paul,  have a look at some of Floris Meydam's work for Leerdam, they had chunky domed stoppers on the decanters.
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
thanks for the suggestions, and I have trawled the webb a little looking at some of his work, and would agree that the domed finials on some of the decanter stoppers do have a similarity  -  although I haven't yet seen a match  -  and the connection may just be wishful thinking on our part :).       However, I do agree that this piece does have a plain and almost very late 'deco' look to the styling.        Can anyone say categorically that the digit '7' when written on the continent will always have a slash thru the upright??     If the answer is yes, then maybe your suggestion about being letters rather than Nos. cud be correct.    I know zilch about Nerthlands glass, although I see that Meydam remained as head of design right thru until 1984, so presumably had something to do with 'Etruska' (pieces which imitated the hand made Roman bubbled glass), and along with Antiqua is about the limit of my knowledge of Dutch material.        In my trawling, I came across the attached link  -  which although I haven't yet had time to read, people may find interesting.      This shows a lot of the back stamps and date code letters for Leerdam pieces.                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~abel/leermark.html

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
Or try  Maastricht . NV Kristalunie ,  they have some interesting stoppers and shapes . jp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand