No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Massive Orrefors Landberg vase 5.9kg, religious scene ?  (Read 7006 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Massive Orrefors Landberg vase 5.9kg, religious scene ?
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
Hi all
well this is the piece i won in my auction dilema, it is an almighty great piece in more than one way.
It weighs in at 5.9kgs, 22cm high and 18cm in diameter.
Now im not very good with religious stuff so need a hand with this, there is a chap on the front holding a cross with a tree behind him, i did wonder if it was the burning bush?? or was that a talking bush  :pb:
The base reads Orrefors.landberg. then i cant quite make out the rest possibly 21KO.88.AS.
Can anybody give me some more info as im struggling to find anything on this. Also i know we dont do values on here but if anybody has any idea on value for this beast can they P.M me
many thanks
michelle
http://i77.servimg.com/u/f77/14/37/17/66/100_8322.jpg
http://i77.servimg.com/u/f77/14/37/17/66/100_8323.jpg
http://i77.servimg.com/u/f77/14/37/17/66/100_8324.jpg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Massive Orrefors Landberg vase 5.9kg, religious scene ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »
You bush is not burning - it has leaves and flowers on it!
There was a tv programme recently on identifying your saints in art - (very, very important for understanding Spanish art) and for the life of me, I can't remember all the correct details. Benedictines are in black, Francescans in brown, the other main thing to look for is the cord they wear, and whether or not it is knotted.

However, your monk there looks decidedly Francescan to me - perhaps St. Francis himself?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »
Many thanks Sue, i am absolutly no use at all with anything saintly or religious. It give us a place to start anyway

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »
Isn't St. Francis always depicted with animals?

By the way, I think it's a lovely vase -- I like how the outline of the legs can be seen through the garb...  although I do wonder why it's partially see-through.  :usd:

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:42:51 PM »
Anik great minds think alike.. i was rather thinking the same thing, isnt that a sin or maybe thats the test you have to look at the semi naked man and not think rude thoughts.. i failed!!! at least we can sit together in the warm ah Anik  >:D

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »
It looks like an olive tree , the leaf and the fruit . Sermon on the mount  :huh: :angel: :t: :hi:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:15 PM »
Maybe it's Saint Ansgar?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »
I don't know if Francis is always with animals, but that is still a valid point. :thup:
It's the simplicity of the robes which is very Francescan - there are no white under-bits, the rope/cord is un-knotted.
Again, I was watching a programme last night (pre-recorded) the one on the history of the fig-leaf in art - so there was a lot about the nudity of religious figures - nakedness was at one time meant to signify the inner beauty and purity through the depiction of outer beauty, and there were times the Catholic church was quite happy about it (as long as the male parts are miniscule - this was based on the ancient greek statues which had been found.)
Of course, there were other times Rome decided it wasn't suitable - a fabby statue of a naked jesus by Barbini in a wee church had it's bit knoced off by a friar who was unhappy about it. It is now draped in a bronze "bit of material".
I think there have been times when Michaelangeo's Adam in the Sistine chapel has been covered up, then uncovered again. There's a great big fig-leaf in the deep dark recesses of the V&A, designed specifically to cover up their copy of David.

"Sermon on the mount" is old testament, pre-monks and the catholic church.
I've never heard of St. Ansgar - something for me to find out, out of curiosity Anik, as it's somebody you know of - but there are an awful lot of them.
Sometimes the stories can be very interesting - from the point of view of totally whacky!

(I'm sure, when I was in Holland, I discovered somebody got sainted for bringing back to life children who had been boiled into soup - it might even have been santa!  >:D And where, I ask, is the santa smilie when I do actually want it?????)

Are we getting off topic? I was thinking that if the image can be id'd, it might be a lead.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:45 PM »

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:30:49 PM »
I figured since the vase is Orrefors, the saint might be Swedish, hence my St. Ansgar guess.

I know nothing about saints. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand