No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Massive Orrefors Landberg vase 5.9kg, religious scene ?  (Read 7009 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Massive Orrefors Landberg vase 5.9kg, religious scene ?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
St. Ansgar seems to be wearing white robes with a dark hood, I can't find info. on the "uniforms" of the different orders on wiki, though. Neither can I remember the order which has white robes!
The Franciscans have a strict rule of poverty, given the commercial produce of the Benedictine monks, I would imagine poverty is not quite so high on their agenda!

I do normally shy away from religious stuff, but the church has been so important in the history of art, so many great paintings are of this sort of theme, sometimes you simply have to look at the art and ignore the subject matter.

What is it he is holding? A swathe of material? A snake?

This piece is stunningly beautiful.  :thud:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »
Lovely thing! Maybe try looking at Constantine too.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:30 PM »
Actually i didnt look at the main figure as i was rushing out  just asumed it was Jesus , i can see it is probably a Monk but the tree is not a fig in my opinion , i have seven in my garden i still think its an olive tree . sorry i need specsavers i thought he had a DR Martens on one foot .

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »
Found this great resource for saints and their attributes, unfortunately I´m still no wiser...  :huh:
http://www.heiligenlexikon.de/Patronate/Attribute.htm
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:52:11 PM »
how about St. Anthony in the wilderness................being an atheist I know naff all about saints in general, but like Sue I have a love of art, and do recall there being a big thing in early Christian images about this guy called Anthony going into the wilderness for some reason or another.............perhpaps he gave rise to the origin of "stop the world I want to get off"  -  not get off in the carnal sense you understand ;).     Anyway, I have cheated and taken the following from you know where........
"He is often erroneously considered the first monk, but as his biography and other sources make clear, there were many ascetics before him. Anthony was, however, the first known ascetic going into the wilderness, a geographical shift that seems to have contributed to his renown".
So, what do you think.............yea, stupid idea really ;D

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 10:38:02 PM »
Crikey when i saw this vase i thought man with all that on the base this should be nice and easy to find, was i wrong or what.
michelle

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »
It is Saint Francis of Assisi,  saints drummed into me as a Catholic child (relapsed now ) images also depict him holding a cross aloft not just with animals, but there is usualy an animal somewhere in the image.
try here http://francisassisipncc.org/saintfrancis.html

I have to say though that i think the vase is stunning.

Sorry meant to say Lapsed!! as to say rethunk redrunk and just unthunk  :thud:

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »
Well done sue most definatly him i would say look at the statue to the left of the link, looks very similar to my vase
 :hiclp:

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
When i was a child at school the teachers used to put images of different saints up each day and we "had!!" to know who they were or else punishment, and beleive it or not i have forgotten most of them appart from st Beradette, Joseph, Francis, Martha, and a couple of others, and i only remember Martha because her prayer was slapped into me because it was our scholl motto!
Little flower at this hour show thyne power

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:49 AM »
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Jesus that preached the sermon on the mont? Which means it has to be new testament.  :wsh: :ooh:

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand