No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Massive Orrefors Landberg vase 5.9kg, religious scene ?  (Read 7003 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Massive Orrefors Landberg vase 5.9kg, religious scene ?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 02:55:23 AM »
About the vase signature.  The AS will refer to Anders Svensson who engraved at Orrefors from 1939 - 1981. (Duncan's - Orrefors Glass book)

This is a slightly limited edition hence the full Landberg name.  Probably a 'Gallery' piece.

I suspect the pattern number for the basic vase is 2140, and the engraving type is 88 (presumably there are 87 other subjects engraved on similar vases).

Hope this is some help.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 06:07:52 AM »
Hi:  It's not a Gallery piece, but a production piece. In the Orrefors catalogue for 1940, according Ricke, Swedish Glass Factories. I'm not a huge fan of engraved glass, but these pre-1950's pieces from Orrefors are stunning. There's a series of vases with similar motifs designed by Lindstrand, Landberg, and Ohstrom.

These pieces seem to fetch a decent price as the last similar piece that was on here, what appeared to be an unsigned Lindstrand piece, went for over $220 on eBay.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »
excellent, so is there a picture of the piece in either book?? Is there anyway of finding the edition size if it is a limited edition? im presuming there wont be a great deal of them due to size and cost in making anyway.
It is an amazing piece Stunningly worked
I assume that if an unsigned piece went for that money mine has a greater value with the full signiture. Do you remember the size of the previous one. I will have a look and see if i can find it
many thanks
michelle

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 12:36:47 PM »
 :pb:

Brain abberration alert, you are right, of course, Carolyn.
I read "sermon on the mount", my brain defaulted to "moses getting his commandments" - the common feature being the mountain.

(just like the other week when I mistook my wee cat having a nap in her normal bed for mother's fox-fur hat, which I hadn't seen or thought about for 30 years....)  :ooh:

Thanks to Ross and David for good and proper info. based on the marks! :rah:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »
Michelle:

Yes, there is a picture in Ricke's book, which is a reprint of  an Orrefors catalogue. There is one size and one colour, clear. The piece is not included in Ricke's Swedish Glass, which had larger pictures of what he holds to be the important pieces. Could the "88" be "B8," which is a code for the year of production, 1951.

The other piece I referred to was a little contentious. The thread is http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37877.0.html.

Bill Geary and Daniel are the ones who could provide info on how many were made possibly, but it wasn't necessarily a small number. Orrefors had a many engravers at this time. There was also a a good many similar pieces made. The pieces with religious scenes don't seem as highly regarded as the the Balinese dancers, Josephine Baker, or the pearl divers. Still a stunning piece on which you should do well.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 12:43:35 AM »
Brain abberration alert, you are right, of course, Carolyn.
(just like the other week when I mistook my wee cat having a nap in her normal bed for mother's fox-fur hat, which I hadn't seen or thought about for 30 years....)  :ooh:

We need a BAA smiley. Lord knows I make them often enough!  :chky:

Carolyn

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Did you put the cat on ?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
 :o
No, I just got a fright  :thud: before I realised that the fluffy red-brown bundle was a proper living creature.
(sorry,  :hj: )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand