No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kralik,Italian or English???  (Read 2458 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Kralik,Italian or English???
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 12:06:10 AM »
Just for my 2 cents worth ---   :-\  :thud:

They all look like a *crackle finish* to me (IMHO) as to me Crackled is like glass that has those real cracks in it.....but that is just me thinking out loud here.  Has like those little cracks broken inside the glass....

:spls2:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 01:18:56 AM »
There seems to be a number of types of 'crackle' glass,here are two Kralik and one,type I'm more familiar with....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 07:55:24 AM »
I have crackle that is tight no gaps and cased over, tight and cased over, crackle that is a little open and not cased over, crackle that is quite wide cased over, and crackle that is quite wide (like Keiths red and gold) and not cased over.
I think they are all started in the same way, i.e. dipped in water to cool and crack, then they are either left tight (ie not blown out further after dipping) and not cased, or left tight not blown out further but cased over, or dipped then blown out further to widen the crackle effect and then either cased over or uncased.
I consider all these crackle glass.  As it happens I don't like the ones that are crackled but not blown further and then cased over smooth.  The effect doesn't appeal to me.  All the others I like.

Ken I have also seen pictures of the mould blown 'crackle effect' pieces you are referring too.  And they are not what *I* would consider crackle either.  But the other pieces I refer to above are all blown (mould or free) and are dipped to get the crackle effect I believe either before blowing further or left after dipping.

I'm open to correction here ;D
m

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 09:35:28 AM »
I agree with M

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
I know an american glassmaker (Rob - no surname) on an ME forum, and we discussed the effect of crackling and further blowing - he says it's official name is "primavera". Rob gave me the link to one of his friend's work to illustrate - it's fabby glass, worth having a peek just for interest!

http://www.pieperglass.com/gallery.php

:ooh: I'm having a teeny-tiny wonder if WMF might be a contender for maker - I don't know if they used foil...
(remembering I'm not good at WMF if it's not the most commonly seen Ikora.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
Lovely glass Sue!
 I'll try and do some close ups of different effects later to add to the thread for future ref.  I do remember being very confused about what was Cracquelle and what was crackle etc a while ago and not being able to find references.
m

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 04:28:10 PM »
M the examples I posted are just what we consider crackle & the other European examples posted are something we simply don't often see over here, e.g. the wider channels created by further manipulation of the piece. The vast majority (probably 95%+) of U.S. crackle are the tight line type & even most of our (U.S.) turn of the century hand glass houses didn't seem to be very involved in crackle or at least not nearly as much as European manufacturers. Mount Washington, Sandwich, Hobbs Bruckunier, made some crackle during the late 1800's into the turn of the century & later Steuben, Fry, Cambridge, Tiffin made limited crackle, but I don't believe anywhere to the extent of your Europeasn manufacturers & (again) its the tight crackle. Of course probably the kings of crackle over here were Blenko & Pilgrim as they both were quite prolific in this regard, far more so than anyone else & they were primarily of a later period. Maybe it was a marketing (sales)problem over here early & it simply did not catch on, I don't know, but its always (for me anyway) interesting to see the variables involved between U.S. glass & European glass techniques during concurrent periods. Ken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 09:45:54 PM »
I said earlier I thought this might have been gold leaf decoration,oops,make that gold aventurine surface decor' and after trawling through my books the only piece I can find with same treatment(not crackle) is a Harrach bowl,page 62,Truitts,shoot me down in flames! :wsh:

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 07:25:37 AM »
You were right the first time; it's gold leaf. Aventurine is copper. The book is wrong.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 02:22:15 PM »
ta,Christine,back to gold leaf then ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum