No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano hopefully ID = Chinese  (Read 7555 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Murano hopefully ID = Chinese
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 01:31:12 PM »

You could be in for a big - but interesting - collection with one of each!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »

Why not look for something better than Murano? There is plenty of choice!

:o  Alan, I'm amazed!  :thud:  Yes, there is plenty of choice, but "look for something better than Murano?"  I was surprised at how biased that sounds!  Which style or maker of Murano weights should Robert look for something "better than"?  ::)   There are so many different styles of Murano weights!  Sure there are many other makers' weights around which may be better, but at what price? 

This is another example of the discussion we were having in another thread about young and new collectors  ;)  I think that however cheap, not many of the weights available today are more affordable (or more varied) than the ones in my modest collection of Murano weights.  You just have to hunt 'em down!  ;D

https://picasaweb.google.com/elaine.simons/MuranoPaperweights?authkey=Gv1sRgCJyon_y9xeqOxAE&feat=directlink

One of each?  Yes indeed that would be a massive collection!  :24: :thup:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »

Hi Leni

I didn't mean to sound 'biased': just that in my opinion there are far more run of the mill, dull, badly made Murano weights (including those from China sold in Murano with a Murano label) than there are good ones, and even the good ones have plenty of peers from other makers.  I think too many people equate 'Murano' with high quality regardless of the look of the piece: I rank most of them above generic Chinese, but below many other makers.

So IMHO Robert could look for something better than any Murano maker quite easily, going for a Peter McDougall or a Perthshire. That said, I prefer Chinese Whites to most Murano weights.  But that is my opinion - others may take a different view, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder (though technical expertise and manufacturing quality is something we might all get closer to agreeing about). ;D

Assuming Robert is searching the fairs / antique shops / car boots / charity shops / auction houses / eBay - rather than going direct to the manufacturers or dealers - then there good weights out there at low prices.  However, not that many, and you have to look hard, and you have to know what is over-priced junk!  But if you look around, you can find them.  Over the past 10 years I have found various Perthshires, an Ysart butterfly, Vasarts, Caithness, Deacons, McDougall, Whitefriars, even a mini Clichy, all for under £10 each.  (And I have seen really horrible things from China and elsewhere priced at over £100 - worst being a pair of Strathearn door knobs labelled 'Antique French' and priced at £400.00. :o

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Trebor

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 11:03:58 PM »
Well it,s quite clear there is a lot of passion involved in collecting glass of all forms I personally love art glass but the more i look the more i see and at the moment i am just enjoying finding new pieces and with your help learning about them. So once again thank you all
IF IT AINT BROKEN, DONT FIX IT.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 12:22:02 AM »

Why not look for something better than Murano? There is plenty of choice!

Alan

Alan, you certainly have it in for Murano pws lately. Someone must have thrown one at you and hurt you badly.  >:D
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand