No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone confirm this is Jobling Please  (Read 1344 times)

Offline mikebonne

• Members
Can anyone confirm this is Jobling Please
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:17 AM »
Hello all and thanks always for your help.

The Green Uranium bowl is very reactive and glows wonderfully and at first glance I thought was a Bohemian maker but it has BRITISH MAKE impressed in the base.  The only company I am aware of that has that mark is Jobling.  The shape is very much Jobling but I have never seen this pattern.

Thanks

Markus

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Can anyone confirm this is Jobling Please
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »
We've had these on the board before. There's a related design with same dimensions and a floral motif too. I personally am 99% certain that they are not Jobling. The green doesn't match, the glass is comparatively too thick. Bagley has been mentioned as a possible maker, but nothing has been confirmed as far as I know...

See: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4502.0.html
Also: http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2008-1w-bateman-schale-british-make.pdf

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:31:41 PM »
I've never seen this one before, but it's not Jobling, Bagley or Sowerby; the colour is wrong for all three for a start. I would bet (not much because I'm tight and don't gamble, well not more than £2 at a time) that it isn't actually made in Britain, rather made for Britain in Czechoslovakia (pressed glass like this is unlikely to be Bohemian, as such because Czechoslovakia came being in 1918ish) or elsewhere, and that someone was naughty.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »
I've never seen this one before, but it's not Jobling, Bagley or Sowerby;

Christine, you have seen this design before - in fact you suggested Bagley when I posted mine in 2008....
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4502.15.html (scroll down).

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:42:22 PM »
Hello and thanks for your replis.  I must admit I did think the green wasa bit "too green" for any of the English makers I know.  The fact it says "MAKE" is rather strange too so I am happy with the theory it was an import as it sort of makes more sense.  It really has a huge Uranium content as the picture was taken with just a small torch...ha!  I'll probably lose my Nordic locks now!

Thanks again for your opinions

Markus

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
I'd forgotten that, and yes it does look Bagleyish in your picture Steven. So rule out Sowerby and Jobling and put a question mark against Bagley.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand