No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fratelli Toso paperweight and label  (Read 4738 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Fratelli Toso paperweight and label
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
I don't collect paperweights (even though I have a few  ;D ) but I had always wanted a millefiori paperweight for my glass collection.  So since I know nothing about them,  when I saw this one with a label I bought it.  I may need to sell it though now :-\ but thought I would put the label and pics on here to check it first.    Is it for real?  All the ones I have managed to look at seem to have a coloured ground (except for one) and have older foil labels.  What era might this be.  It looks quite new to me  ^-^
Many thanks for any help.  It is much appreciated.

M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Fratelli Toso paperweight and label
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »
I see no reason to think it is other than what it says on the label.

Many Murano weights have no coloured ground - some are tidier than others and I suspect there are examples from several makers, not just Fratelli Toso.

Age? Dunno! But I'd guess at mid-20th century or a decade or so before.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:02:15 PM »
Thank you :) The label being plastic made me think this must be more recent than that so that's good to know.
m

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:00:31 AM »
The plastic label does indicate it is more recent. Heiremans writes the label was used from the late 60s through the 70s. The original Fratelli Toso ceased operations in 1981. They opened again later, but did not make the same type things. So, your pw is most likely 1970s.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »

Looks real enough to me - check out my 'Murano project' on my website.  But I wouldn't book the cruise - maybe a fish and chip supper (for two): run of the mill Murano weights are car boot material. That is not to say that there are no rare / desirable / expensive Murano paperweights, but the great majority do not fall into that category, IMO.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 06:52:35 PM »
many thanks Anita and Alan  :)

ok, so then this one will stay as my millefiori piece as I'm not all that keen on fish and chips  ;D    I wouldn't mind a vase to go with it though   8) 
Alan, I think I did find it earlier - it's a fabulous site!

m

Offline rudy ramirez

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 12:53:57 AM »
 I am collecting  a somewhat growing number of PW and you learn a lot by researching on the net over and over and over till u can see them in ur sleep. I have been told by a known seller of pw's that a fratelli toso that is listed at $799.99 is just a price the seller wants for his. I bought the same one for 74 cents and was told they are not interested in mine at a well known antique site. Well it didnt dampen my spirit because it is just an educated guess on their part so take their critic with a grain of salt. I just bought what i think is a vintage murano pw with cane intertwined design and the glass hjas that old brownish look in the glass. I will search the net till i find the somewhat same design since no 2 are alike if handblown.Glass critics have been wrong before and authors have made weong identifications so dont give up on any pice u think is a valuable find. It is hard to identify unless they are signed within the glass since lables fall off or are taken off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand