No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Attention: Kane_U_Pain  (Read 3077 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Attention: Kane_U_Pain
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
I admit that I tend to react negatively to multi-name attributions. It seems standard for some people to write 'conchiglia valva Seguso' with a few adding Toso and Venini in for good luck. I think the first piece is an interesting piece, the kind of shape and colours I like very much,  but I still question the $120 in today's market.

On my monitor, the colours on the first piece are a little more interesting than the colours on the second piece. In the first piece the red is more of a violet than peach, and the blue is quite electric. The second piece is a more reasonable price, too. The first seller's prices are usually pretty high. His Czech stuff, when correctly attributed, is about double what others would expect.

I've got a piece similar in colour to Tami's second piece that I've labeled "Murano" (the seller said it was Venini) and I'd call it a little ashtray.

Were you thinking of buying it, Tami?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 04:25:02 PM »
In regards to the original piece posted in the link. It seems to be that just about every piece of Italian glass on ebay in the this color combination is by AS and designed by Flavio Poli.....  Even the obviously Chinese pieces...

I agree with David completely.....This sellers descriptions have a tendency to be sketchy..... I think he owns a copy of "Keyword Spamming for Ebay Dummies"......... 

From firsthand experience, he posted a piece of glass in another forum with the suggestion of a couple of attributions. (early American glass) 

I would add that very early on in the discussion he made a comment regarding his own lack of knowledge of early American glass.....

Even after being informed that experts in the field had determined that it was not what he suggested it was, and his comment regarding his personal lack of knowledge, it was run on ebay as a piece of that type of glass.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great opinions.  :girlcheer:

@ David - The bowl has already been purchased and at the $120 amount.  This is not the first time I have over paid for a piece of glass and I am sure it will not be my last.  The thing is, in today's market it is very hard to gauge what the glass is worth whether it is Murano or not.  I am still happy with it and not disappointed in my decision. 

tam bam

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »
Tami:

You're not alone in paying more than some others might for a particular piece that you like. I paid $60 for my piece, which I probably could have got for less had I kept looking. What annoys me more is when I buy at a bargain price in the  misplaced hope that it's something nice and a badly made piece arrives. I feel I've just wasted money with nothing to show for it. Your piece is always going to look very nice.

I also think, as I've said, that the colours in your piece are far more interesting than some similar colour combinations, my piece, for example. I wouldn't class your piece as generic Murano, but it's going to take a bit of research to find out what it is. Perhaps the new SvDA book will reveal all.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
The second piece is horrendous and even i would avoid it as a quality piece. I would hope to get it at least a third of the price so at least I could I ash it in happily!

Tam bam, you may have purchased it at $120 but put it aside for a while. Wait for the book to come out and see if we can find a comparision piece. The price u paid may have been at the top end but we have all done that. So enjoy it for a while and wait till the time is right to sell so you can at least get the same price for it. It is a beautiful piece and the colouring is perfect. I wouldn't be to disappointed with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand