No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sticker Says Made in Italy.... = IVV  (Read 6055 times)

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Sticker Says Made in Italy.... = IVV
« on: January 11, 2006, 01:58:10 AM »
Hi everyone, hope y'all had a great holiday season.  Now it's back to work and going to estate sales.  I wish everyone much luck in finding glass in the new year!!

Here's a vase or decanter that has a sticker that probably says "Made in Italy" and was wondering if this could be a piece of quality or just the everyday tourist glass.  My Mom gave this to me after a trip to Italy back in the early 70s.

The base is concave and smooth.

http://tinypic.com/k1rh46.jpg
http://tinypic.com/k1rkoj.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 01:21:18 AM »
I have a picture in a book that is very similar to your decanter/bottle - it is in blue and is shown in set with a water jug and four goblets of similar form.

It is by Salviati & C. under the section 'Table Sets' c1950s. I am thinking this is a reach as I don't associate the label with Salviati, although I am less familiar with their domestic or table glass.

At the very least it shows that your item was more functional than at first thought even if not by this maker.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 02:19:12 AM »
Hello Nancy,
Thank you for your post.
By the look of it, Tuscany and Guildcraft companies come to mind.
They are Italian, but I havent seen much documentation from them.
Hope someone can shine some light on it.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 02:37:25 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I'll ask my Mom where she might have bought it in Italy, but it has been 30 plus years and I don't know whether she'll remember.
Nancy

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:07:33 PM »
I think I have something quite similar by IVV - same stopper, same twisted foot - except a clear body. Which would tie in with the "made in Italy" sticker

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 12:03:34 AM »
Hi

This decanter is different in some ways but the label seems very similar on this. I posted a month or so ago on striped Italian glass thread -

I never got a good picture of the label (photograph at my local dealer) - it was raised silver foil (paper backed) with red slightly worn away and had the same outer shape as the posted label.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 05:59:26 AM »
Are you sure that the stopper and the body go together?

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 12:40:39 PM »
That is a good question  :?

As I said the decanter was never mine, I took the picture at a local dealer and did not have time to examine it that well (it has since sold)

I agree with you Ivo, the stopper does look somewhat incongruous

I think Anne E.B. has or had the same decanter with a white stopper - posted below (the pictures have since disappeared.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1824.0.html

The main thread on striped Italian glass emanated from this thread.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4261.msg33999.html#msg33999

Adam P

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
Anne E.B

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 04:49:46 PM »
Thanks Anne

It's a different shape but the stopper is same as on mine - I think they are the same maker taking into account the striped body.

So it seems that the decanter stoppers are correct - I think the white was to pick up the swirling white stripe on the main body.

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand