No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I was a happy guy yesterday -- Pavel Hlava cut vase  (Read 8601 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
I was a happy guy yesterday -- Pavel Hlava cut vase
« on: February 19, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »
I was very happy yesterday -- found a beautiful Pavel Hlava cut vase  :chky: -- and for a reasonable prize (well, still paid twice as much I had ever paid before for a piece of glass).
Funny thing is that it doesn't have the Exbor stamp but the remains of a stamp/label which looks rather similar to the Borocrystal stamp (from around 1969) Jindrich depicted here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24341.msg136079.html#msg136079 (middle one first row). At least the banner with the word Czechoslovakia is quite obvious...

So does this indicate when this vase was produced?
Was it produced in another factory of the Novy Bor group?

My second Hlava vase http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37428.0.html, I am a lucky guy :)

Michael

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: I was a happy guy yesterday -- Pavel Hlava cut vase
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: :mrgreen:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:27:42 PM »
Thanks, Rose!
Was very excited when I found this one yesterday in an antique shop between several pseudo-Poli Murano vases :)

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:08:17 PM »
I am still interested why a Borocrystal stamp/label (similar to this one -- http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-images/crystalex/borocrystal-czechoslavakia-72040115.jpg) is found on the vase instead of an Exbor stamp.
Does this indicate anything -- date of production, ...?

Perhaps one of our Czech experts (Jindrich, bOBA) can shed a light on this :)

Thanks!
Michael

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »
It looks you are true Michael. But it is hard to decide, the same pieces were in production in 90ties and possibly also recently as well.
I have at my web sight now a little fight between Zdenek and Jiri about the origin and age pieces at Sypka auction that went in Prague last Sunday.

Zdenek had pasted few pictures from shops in Prague to web, take a look and care what are you buying.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
Thank you very much, Jindrich!!
As the only part of the stamp which is still quite readable (at least to the naked eye) says "czechoslovakia", I am positive that this vase should at least be made before 1990. A Borocrystal label wouldn't be found on a contemporary one, I guess?

But very interesting pics -- I am surprised that this style of Hlava vase is still produced.
I can also spot two vases with swirled exterior finish in the shopwindow (were also in the Sipka auction catalogue) -- so these are most probably not even a Hlava design...

Michael

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:27:05 PM »
You are lucky man, Michael, Czechoslovakia is good proof.
All is Hlava (or other piieces Rozsypal) design, but the pieces are not "old" but recent. The quality is same, hard to recognise older from recent and it the subject of conflict between Zdenek and Jiri.
We - Czech collectors naturaly prefer "old" Czechoslovakian pieces with acid Exbor stamp :-)

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:41:58 PM »
Beautiful piece, Michael. I can think of one collection that would be improved by its presence, but I guess I'm going to have buy one for myself.

Congratulations.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 05:40:15 AM »
I'm always surprised at the price people are willing to pay for these Hlava cut pieces, especially when the base is stamped... I'm not particularly fond of these vases -- nothing about it makes me want to look at it from different angles, or more importantly, touch it. :-\   I can appreciate the quality, but am not excited by the design.  Maybe my opinion would change if I saw one in real life.

On the other hand, I love when people show their happiness and excitement over glass they find ...  So Michael, my congratulations to you as well!!!   :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »
Thank you Jindrich, David and Anik!!

David, I am afraid you have to find another one to extend (not improve :)) your collection
Anik, as soon as you find your first one you will change your mind for sure ;D

But I know -- tastes differ; and you are right: prizes for these are too high -- unfortunately.
I really think this is a gorgeous design, and I am happy whenever I look at it.

I was fascinated by this style of Hlava vases ever since I saw pics of them in the "20th century factory glass" book, long before I ever thought of collecting Czech glass...

BTW, has anybody ever come across other items with this "Borocrystal" (I guess) stamp? If so -- which ones?
My Zemek Rhapsody vase has a Borocrystal paper label, which looks very similar (Mark Hill dates this to late 1950ies, I think)

Did a little image manipulation to show the stamp on my vase next to a Borocrystal stamp. "Czechoslovakia" and the goblet foot and pattern a quite recongnizable...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand