No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cloudy bubbly streakyish bowl - plum colour and white streaks  (Read 3249 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: cloudy bubbly streakyish bowl - plum colour and white streaks
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 12:22:50 AM »
'Twerp reporting in........... ;) :thup:

Well, well, well, Nazeing, Gray-Stan.....Gray-Stan, Nazeing......ya got me!!!  :o :huh:

Oh alright, you twisted my arm, it's regarded as Nazeing and from the Elwell period, identified through the Elwell find.

Most certainly not Gray-Stan !! Wrong colour, wrong thickness of glass for that range of their wares, etc., etc.

Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »
 :kissy: thank you Nigel.  Well, I hadn't got to that conclusion totally, but what I did think was, the colour wasn't quite right for Gray Stan, there wasn't the correct whorls or swirls or something about the way the colour was laid on or something wasn't quite right.... I couldn't quite put my finger on it... and then the casing was too thick on the base and the pontil mark wasn't just quite right -  so then I went onto your site and looked at the Nazeing exhibition photographs and there in the cabinet (the one nearest in the photo) , middle shelf is a green bowl that looks remarkably similar in shape and size.  

I hope this link works but it needs to enlarge on the screen to see the bowl more clearly -

http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://20thcentury-glass.org.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Copyof190703009a.jpg&target=tlx_picms5n

And I was just about to post and came here and you'd already seen it  :hiclp:
So... I am learning :rah: and I was right with my first instinct.
Thanks so much  :)
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 11:04:31 AM »
Hiya,

Thank you for the link, but I have to shatter your hawk-eyed observation - that ash-tray isn't the same as yours  :o

For reasons explained elsewhere on the board no pieces like yours were in he exhibition, since there was doubt about their origins. Therefore no items that we now associate with the Elwell find were shown. The shape of the May Green ash-tray shown in the exhibition is different, as is the way the colour is laid in, and it can be traced directly to Nazeing production of the pre-war era.

Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
 ;D  I did go and read the Elwell information thereafter  ;) 
so... mine is then post war? Do we know what time period it falls into please?
Many thanks Nigel.
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »

Simple answer? No :huh:

Certainly not with any accuracy, I'm afraid - although a guestimate based on indications would be late 40's through 50's.

Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »
thank you Nigel  :clap: certainly the base wear on mine looks commensurate with a pretty good age.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 06:54:19 PM »
Came across this thread accidentally whilst looking for Alum Bay glass pieces.

I'm pretty sure/very sure that this was made by Stevens and Williams - well either that, or my Stevens and Williams vase isn't S&W.

I had forgotten I ever had this bowl and have no idea where it is now, but I have a vase that I think is made in the same way colours laid on and same colours an is Stevens and Williams.  It's on the board somewhere so I'll try and find it and link it.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand