No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Did Egermann become Exbor???  (Read 3922 times)

Offline vintagelass

• Members
Did Egermann become Exbor???
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
Evening all

Can anyone enlighten me on who 'owned' Egermann in the post war period? From the research I have done, it appears the company was either taken over or merged? I have seen several references to signed 50's and 60's pieces listed as Egermann-Exbor, or even German, yet cannot find any mention of this in Mark Hill's book.
Any help appreciated as frankly, confused!
Thanks!

Offline bablo

• Members
    • glass-wiki.net
Re: Did Egermann become Exbor???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »
The book I have about bohemian glass is by Foulds, who specifically states: "Egermann-Exbor" was so renowned before World War II that, like Moser, it couldn't be collectivized into anonymity under the postwar Czechoslovak state."

Egermann-Exbor was eventually incorporated by the Crystalex company though, but I don't know exactly when. In 1993 Egermann-Exbor was privatized again and started shops in Novy Bor, Prague and Karlovo Vary. From that time on the company increasingly focused on making art glass. I don't even know if "company" is the right word, it's become more of an art house.

I visited Novy Bor 2 months ago, just after celebrating newyear in Prague. The village has only a few shops selling Crystalex items. There is still one artist shop which, I think, is related to Egermann-Exbor, but it was closed that day.

You also might try one of the email addresses found here:
http://www.egermann.cz/?go=contacts&lang=en

Hope this helps a bit.
\bablo

Offline vintagelass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:35:02 AM »
Thanks for the info, Bablo.The plot thickens!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »
I do not think there is much of a plot. Egermann is still producing what it always produced (check here: http://www.egermann.cz/?go=vyrobky&lang=cz) and I think glad to be free and no longer state owned.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »
Well,
it is not so complicated but has to be clarified.

After WWII the glasfactories in Haida (Nový Bor) region had been nationalised and unified to Borocrystal, than name was changed to Borské sklo and later the huge Crystalex had been created. Already in 60ties we can see the "Egermann" trade mark label, it was used for red stained glass cut to clear, simply pieces we use to call "Egermann style" pieces. This trade mark had nothing to do with old Friedrich Egermann or his relatives. In 60ties also was in Crystalex estabilished division of art glass that used trade mark  "Exbor". Still one factory - Crystalex.

In 1990/91 huge company Crystalex had been divided to several parts (Moser for example has separated) and privatised. One privatised part was named "Egermann-Exbor" - state company - disolved finaly last year in September.  Simultanuously worked the company named "Egermann s.r.o" (s.r.o = UK Ltd) since 1995 and this company still survives. I have heard that they had bought the Chribska stock and they only engrave "Egermann" to bottom of previous Chribska (Rubin glass s.r.o) pieces. I have not proven this information for the meanwhile.

Moreover - Crystalex a.s. still exists as well, they are still selling their stock production and new production they make only according to specific order, as far as I know.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand