No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alfredo Barbini Lighter/Vase  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Alfredo Barbini Lighter/Vase
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »
This little piece called out my name, and I felt compelled to give it a new home .... or so the story goes. :sm:  It has been fun 'investigating' and wonder if my efforts are on the right track.

At first I thought it was a pretty Murano vase and then later a cigarette holder which had been part of a 1950's coffee table smoking set.  Now I believe it is actually the lighter (missing the lighter piece) of such a set.  The only thing that makes me wonder if this is correct is that the rim where the lighter would sit is in perfect condition with the inside edge of the opening and the inside of the piece being beautifully finished.  There are no signs of anything sitting in that opening.

So, the conclusion of my search is 1950's-60's Alfredo Barbini Bullicante Aqua (or Robin's Egg Blue, Rose. ;D ) lighter, originally part of a smoking set which would have included the ashtray and cigarette holder.  Rose, this would go with your robin egg blue bowl/ashtray.  Now all we need is the cigarette holder!  

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-14996

How did I do???

Lily :X:

Oh yes, dimensions, approx. 2-1/2" H x 3-3/4" W

Offline quill

• Members
Re: Alfredo Barbini Lighter/Vase
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:09:49 PM »
I've no idea how you did, Lily, but that's awf'ly pretty, so in my unschooled opinion you did very well indeed!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:35:42 PM »
Lily, I agree with everything you wrote. I also think that is part of a lighter. You can buy one of the less expensive Japan type lighters and use the lighter part for yours. Murano lighters that I've seen have the Japanese lighter parts in them. I've seen a lighter similar to yours just recently. I'll try to locate it. I believe it was attributed to Barbini.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 10:55:34 PM »
Yep, I'll agree on the Barbini Lighter... :)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:23:57 PM »
Here is a similar flat-top one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130484510269 I thought the lighter was Svazzo's, but I had to hunt it down. He writes that it is documented. I'm not sure where. Maybe in one of Pina's books?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:33:46 PM »
Let's make it a Barbini chorus. All I can add is that I have the same shape with a Weill/Barbini label on it for confirmation. It's interesting that mine is less decorated and more transparent and it took me a couple of takes to realize it was the same shape. There are no marks where the lighter would go, which is true of the other lighters I have also.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:13:34 AM »
Wow!  A big "Thank you!" to each one of you!  :hug:   

It's good to know a lighter insert can be found; although, I must admit, if I had seen it with the lighter in place, it would still be at the establishment.  Seeing it as a petite vase was very appealing.  I can easily picture it with tiny white and pink flowers in it.  However, with my "research", I have come to a new appreciation of these smoking sets, some of which are very beautiful and quite classy.  Does anyone else think these lighters might have been a bit of a handful to actually use?  Of course, they were created in a time when it was more common for a man to hold the lighter for the woman.

Lily  :)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 01:20:05 AM »
It's certainly okay to leave the lighter part out. I see many of the Fratelli Toso lighters being sold as vases. They look prettier as vases to me than as lighters. Of course, it would be nice of the seller to accurately describe what the "vases" are. Many may not know.

I think they would look prettier with swizzle sticks, flowers, or maybe even a glass egg in them.  :t:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 02:03:32 AM »
Lilly:

It took me a while to realize my piece once held a lighter. I had bought it as a little vase. It would have been awkward to use, but one of those case where beauty trumps functionality.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »

So, the conclusion of my search is 1950's-60's Alfredo Barbini Bullicante Aqua (or Robin's Egg Blue, Rose. ;D ) lighter, originally part of a smoking set which would have included the ashtray and cigarette holder.  Rose, this would go with your robin egg blue bowl/ashtray.  Now all we need is the cigarette holder!  

Love it......and the color  Blue, I mean Aqua, I mean Powdered Blue ----- OH heck ----- Robin Egg Blue :24: ;D

yes big lighters were popular back then.  I do not think a person noticed the size, as people were used to all home have big lighters either in Glass, or brass, or Chrome.  Yes the men would light the Cig most of the time.....lol

Very Nice, and Good fine  :hiclp: :chky: -- guess we will have to look for the Cigarette holder too now  

Just an FYI here -- take a look at this brass Lighter.  Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but just to show the statement that lighters played back then in your home.  So even when your Glass lighter looks BIG -- there were still bigger lighters used in the homes back then.

WTG on your Murano Find !!!   :thup:

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand