No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ZBS vase 70039  (Read 2702 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
ZBS vase 70039
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:19:30 PM »
Bought this beautiful ZBS vase some weeks ago, complete with yellow label :)
Bottom is not Neodymium, by the way...

It is featured in Czech Glass Revue 1961/3 as Nr. 70039, but unicolour. http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/Glasrevue19613?authkey=Gv1sRgCNmg17HU6PH6Lw#5440363271180005650

I am wondering if this is most probably a Klinger design?
And does the yellow ZBS label really indicate a production date in the sixties? (Mark Hill's book says so)

And one general question regarding the colours: most of ZBS items I see (and I see a lot) come only in one colour; are the two-coloured ones rarer because they were only produced in a certain time range?

Thanks!
Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: ZBS vase 70039
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
A very interesting piece, Michael!  I've got the same design, only in solid 'citrin'.  Sadly, Jindrich says we've still got too little information to know, in all certainty, who the designer was.

At the antiques market, I saw a ZBS vase with the same label as yours -- the body of the vase (which looked like an elongated donut with a hole in the middle) was yellow, and the foot (like that of a wine glass, only much shorter) was pink.  I decided it was too 'loud' for my taste and left it behind, even though it was labeled.  :usd:

I do like your vase though.

Anik

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:58:37 PM »
Anik, thanks once again for your thoughts!

The vase you have seen on the fleamarket does sound a little bit strange. Was it similar to this one in Dusan's gallery? https://picasaweb.google.com/exat53/CzGlas#5159819630455272466

I normally don't buy ZBS items (I like the shapes, but the plain colouration and the fact that they are so readily available here makes them less desirable to me 8))

But this blue/pink vase I found outstanding. And the label added to the attraction :)
I am curious if Jindrich can add some more info regarding age, label, colours etc.

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29:31 AM »
The vase I saw wasn't like the one in Dusan's gallery...  It had a large flat, oblong body balanced on a small foot.  It was really quite quirky and strange-looking.  I drew a picture of it to give you a very rough idea.  :usd:

Of course, in that vase, the colours are separate, unlike in yours.  By the way, I don't recall seeing any ZBS piece in blue.  Do you see blue ones often enough?

P.S. I've got a ZBS vase here https://picasaweb.google.com/105348959949603419807/CzechGlassCollection#5572398946150114802 which is two-coloured (but 'standard' colours).

:hi:

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:35:32 PM »
Anik, thank you very much for the drawing -- this vase does look strange...
Wouldn't have come home with me either :)

Now that you mentioned it -- I really don't recall to have seen one of the typical ZBS vases in this blue colour. In the CGR edition 1961/3 where our vase is featured (posted the link) the colour is referred to as "Oceanit". Maybe it wasn't used for a long time like some other colours?
Just by seeing the colours in my vase I wouln't have thought of ZBS at once.

Some weeks ago I have seen this ZBS ashtray - https://picasaweb.google.com/exat53/CzGlas#5159383188763548610  - at the fleamarket in dark emerald green, also quite an unusual colour. (Would have bought it if it weren't engraved with some flowers).

Your classic ZBS vase in Citrin and brown is beautiful, by the way.
And congratulations to your new Skrdlovice bowl -- very, very nice!
Did you see my latest Skrdlovice additions?  ;D -- http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38104.msg213854.html#msg213854

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
Very nice additions, Michael!  (By the way, have you got a photo gallery I could take a peek at? :))

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
Thank you very much, Anik!
Sorry, I don't have a gallery -- but if you have some time you can do a search here for my posts (not so many up to now :)) -- so you can see at least the part of my collection I bought within the last months...
(I have many more items, especially glass from Finland, which I didn't post here as I could easily identify them before I became a member here)

Your web-gallery makes me  :mrgreen:

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand