No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Have PY paperweights  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Douguna

• Members
Have PY paperweights
« on: January 11, 2006, 01:50:32 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am a new member to this forum. I was born and raised in Perth, Scotland until 1965, when I left to go to Canada, in my 20th year. More importantly, my parents worked on the Shore Road, Perth in the 50's, 60's and came to know the Ysarts quite well, and of course the work that they were engaged in at the Vasart factory. Consquently, my mother became quite infatuated by the glassware and paperweights, and purchased much over the years. When I was growing our home was literally filled with Vasart lamps, bowls, paperweghts etc. Unfortunately my mother was quite generous, and if a relative or visitor to our home admired a particulr piece, you could almost be assured that they left with that piece, or they were taken to the Vasart factory to purchase items for presents etc. On many occasions, whle at the factory purchasing presents, etc. if my mother stopped to admire a particular vase or paperweight Vince would often say just take it.  I have several vases etc and two signed PY paperweights that I purchased in Perth.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Have PY paperweights
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 02:34:09 PM »
:shock:  You can't possibly think you're getting away with posting that and not showing us pics!  :roll:  :wink:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Have PY paperweights
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »
Please do post or email for me to put up using email button at bottom of this message.

And... any other recollections would be a delight :D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Have PY paperweights
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 05:41:16 PM »
Douguna's weights.

Offline Leni

• Members
Have PY paperweights
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 06:23:33 PM »
:shock: Very nice!  :D  Thanks for posting them here, Frank.  I'm green with envy!  
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Have PY paperweights
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 07:52:35 PM »
Sorry to say this folks, but ...

... I am 99% sure that these two weghts are from the range of fake py items :!:

Please see my pages to view similar items and learn about the details, particulary the "p" and "y" in the signature cane (which cannot be discerned from the photos above).
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/fake-py/fake-py-weights.htm

In this instance the general features of the two weights are recognisable as not being Paul Ysart's work.

For the "Flower on Coloured Ground" weight, the leaves and stem are the same style as seen in my pages for Flower Examples 02 & 06 - and also the leaves in 01, 03, 04, 06, 10 & 11.

For the "Flower on Filgree" weight, the leaves and stem are as per my examples 04 & 10 - and similar brown stems are seen in 07 & 08. The latticinio is of the same style as in the Example 02 Fish weight and also Butterfly 03.

But there is an interesting point here. I think this "Flower on Filgree" weight is the first one I have seen that uses 16 filgree elements. It had been said a while ago that the fake weights used 20 elements and this was believed to be confirmation of their status, as Paul Ysart did not use 20. Personally, I have found no absolute proof that genuine PY weights never used 20 filigree elements, although I have to admit that I have not yet seen any. However, because I know that some examples of the fakes use other than 20, I have not added the earlier "proof" comments to my recognition notes:
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/fake-py/fake-py-weights-notes.htm
What I have said, though ( Note 8 ), is:
The "filigree cushion" of Butterflies 01, 02, 03, Fish 02 and Flowers 01, 03 are of a "thinner" structure than in most Paul Ysart items that use this feature.

The "thinness" of the filigree does seem to be consistent across the fake examples.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand