No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk Glass mystery ... Help me please before i tear my hair out !!!  (Read 16714 times)

Offline collectingatcollectables

• Members
Hi

This is a Selkirk Glass table weight,  it has  no name, produced initially as an idea for a weight but not considered good enough in design to be named or introduced as limited edition paperweight, the weight would be quick to make.  some would be cut and engraved,   these would be sold in the shop as affordable table weights.  hope this helps.

collectingatcollectables

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

I don't know how common - or rare - these are. I have several large Selkirk weights that are abstract designs, with 'Selkirk Glass Scotland' and a date between 1997 and 1999.  One of mine is cut with a quite complex design. None have design names.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
There are two separate problems for the identification of Selkirk weights:
1. Most weights are just marked "Selkirk" (no name).
2. The marked year is not the year of first issue, but year of production: I have a large number of Selkirk weights (or at least images of them) with marked years several years after the particular weight showed up last in the catalogues.
Solution: look through the catalogues, starting with the indicated year, and go backwards in time.

Right now I am preparing images for a Selkirk catalogue on Scotland's Glass: for that I have digitized/compiled all catalogues 1985 and later (plus a few before). If you send me images of your weights, I'll have a look.

SMALLPRINT (especially for all other readers): for all images sent for identification, I assume implicit permission to use the images for our catalogue >:D.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline SophieB

• Members
Hi Wuff,

I do not have any early catalogues (only late ones). However, I spoke to someone at the Yelverton Paperweight Centre and it appears that they have all the Selkirk catalogues (even the very early ones). They would need to be scanned, of course but at least you know where to get hold of the missing catalogues.

By the way, I have quite a few Selkirk weights (a weakness of mine). I cannot remember whether I have offered to do this already but I would be happy to sent pictures of these for the Selkirk catalogue thjat you are putting together.

Sophie

Offline collectingatcollectables

• Members
Hi All

Sorry the last link did not work. [Mod: previous post with incorrect link now removed] fingers crossed this will

http://photobucket.com/collectingatcollectables

[Mod: Sadly the new link just goes to the Phoptobucket sign in page!]

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
[Mod: previous post with incorrect link now removed]

Which is a pity: with the old link one could at least get to the album (without the need of a password) by removing the rear of the link - whilst just getting to the login page (where you need a password) is useless for many readers :-\. Yes ... I object to starting "accounts" all over the place, just for being able to see some images.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
... However, I spoke to someone at the Yelverton Paperweight Centre and it appears that they have all the Selkirk catalogues (even the very early ones). They would need to be scanned, of course, but at least you know where to get hold of the missing catalogues.
Thank you for pointing this out: I had bought some of my Selkirk catalogues from them (on ebay), but when I asked about the early ones, I was told, they had none - which was a misunderstanding: they just have no duplicates to sell. I have contacted them again - and will get all early catalogues they have for scanning.

By the way, I have quite a few Selkirk weights (a weakness of mine). I cannot remember whether I have offered to do this already but I would be happy to send pictures of these for the Selkirk catalogue that you are putting together.
Sophie
Thank you for the offer - I remember we discussed this - but didn't come to a conclusion: Selkirk was just a future project for me at the time. In the meantime I have a (more or less) complete list of Selkirk weights, and a file name structure - so any images would be most welcome. In case you take new pictures: preferred are top / oblique / side views on a white background; original (high resolution) images with minimal (or no) compression.

Offline SophieB

• Members
Hi Wuff,

Pleased to be of service...

I need to take new pictures of the Selkirk weights. However, I am about to go away: are you in a hurry or can these pictures wait until the last week of August?

Sophie

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
There are two separate problems for the identification of Selkirk weights:
1. Most weights are just marked "Selkirk" (no name).
2. The marked year is not the year of first issue, but year of production: I have a large number of Selkirk weights (or at least images of them) with marked years several years after the particular weight showed up last in the catalogues.
Solution: look through the catalogues, starting with the indicated year, and go backwards in time.

Right now I am preparing images for a Selkirk catalogue on Scotland's Glass: for that I have digitized/compiled all catalogues 1985 and later (plus a few before). If you send me images of your weights, I'll have a look.

SMALLPRINT (especially for all other readers): for all images sent for identification, I assume implicit permission to use the images for our catalogue >:D.

Wuff, why do you say most Selkirk weights do not have name on the base?  I own around 150, and almost all have the name hand enscribed.  I suspect that it is only mass produced cheaper (affordable as Rob calls them!) are the ones without a name on them.  Although I do have a few with no name, it is literally 5 or 6 of my collection.  Anything earlier or rather better seem to be always named....

Small selection of mine :)

Ian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand