No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk Glass mystery ... Help me please before i tear my hair out !!!  (Read 16789 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Wuff, Yelverton definately have all the catalogues, and I've had the earliest in my hands on a visit there a couple of years ago.  Somewhere I have a scan of it, but cant see to find it :(

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

• Members
Wuff, my collection is also availlable for photo's. I own pretty much every good to great weight done, with one or 2 exceptions.......

Now they're pretty much all on display, I'm sure I can do a mass photo session some time if you and the scotlands glass guys want them :)

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
... However, I am about to go away: are you in a hurry or can these pictures wait until the last week of August?

Thank you for your offer, Sophie: no hurry whatsoever - as mentioned, I am just in the preparation stage for the Selkirk project - will take a while until anthing goes online.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Wuff, why do you say most Selkirk weights do not have name on the base?  I own around 150, and almost all have the name hand enscribed.  I suspect that it is only mass produced cheaper (affordable as Rob calls them!) are the ones without a name on them. ...
Well - my view will likely be somewhat biased: I regularly check ebay for images which might be of interest for ScotlandsGlass - from what's offered there I can assure you that the vast majority of Selkirk weights on offer is not signed (with a name) - but then there surely will be a preponderance of unlimited weights on ebay.
On the other hand - whilst my Selkirk collection is much less impressive than yours - amongst my limited editions is at least one (1984 Bluebells) which is not signed: as I bought it directly from Selkirk, and it came with certificate (98/250) I very much hope it's genuine :usd:.

Looking at your images I not only get jealous - but also see a few weights of which I would appreciate higher resolution images >:D. Just a few examples I recognise immediately:
1980 Primroses
1979 Seabed
1980 Little Owl (not sure if there is one in the back row)
1978 Dragonfly
You wouldn't by any chance have a list of your weights (you'll find my mail button in the lefthand column)?

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Wuff, my collection is also available for photo's. I own pretty much every good to great weight done, with one or 2 exceptions.......
Now they're pretty much all on display, I'm sure I can do a mass photo session some time if you and the scotlands glass guys want them :)
Ian

Thanks, Ian - our postings seem to have crossed - and you already answered my plea: thank you very much!
As said above: best (for me) would be a list of your weights - so I can compare with my list.
Even if I finally get all my missing catalogues from Yelverton (good to hear that they actually should have all of them - They were going to contact me again in due course), it is always nice to have additional views, not just the (scanned) catalogue images.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
I have an unnamed one from 1989
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=814
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=815
Hi Christine,
I have checked the 1985...1990 catalogues - whilst there are several swirl&bubble weights, none of them seems to have the right combination of swirls and bubbles with the right colouring. Whilst with single views in the catalogues I may have just missed it, the chance is it is falling into the category described This is a Selkirk Glass table weight, it has no name, produced initially as an idea for a weight but not considered good enough in design to be named ... above by Robert.

• Members
Hi Wuff

1980 Primroses, 1979 Seabed, 1980 Little Owl (not sure if there is one in the back row), 1978 Dragonfly.

All of those, and a different Dragonfly, named Dragonfly, from 1980  (only one Ive ever seen).  Also Penguin (only one Ive ever seen) and many others.  Just uploading some new pictures showing more detail, so have a look through and let me know which ones you'd like and then I can check the names.  I've also got many more in the loft at the moment, but figure this will be a good starting point!!!!

The weights in the pictures are obviously mainly selkirk, but there are a few which are scottish borders period, and of course some other stuff like Willie Manson, Okra, and so on as well.....

Going slightly of on a tangent you can have the pictures of the 4 seasons set and the Purple (maybe blue?) coral caithness weights which finish later on this evening if you guys don't have them!

Ian

Hopefully you can get to all the pictures from this one link.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/pooleandpaperweights/DSC_0173.jpg

Offline SophieB

• Members
Ian,

WHOW!!!  :hiclp: What at a marvellous/superb/fantastic collection of Selkirks!!!  :hiclp:

When I grow up, I want one just like that  ;D

Joking apart, it is nice to hear that some Selkirk weights really exist - like the penguin. It is alluded to in a number of places, but I have never seen one. Can you tell me the size of the edition?

I noticed that you also own a Caithness shipwreck... (May be when I grow up...)

Many many thanks for sharing these treasures with us.

Sophie

• Members
My particular interest is Peter Holmes' work, and the star of the collection is the shipwreck.  Found it at auction when it was listed with 2 caithness weights as "a weight with a PH cane".  Unfortunately others spotted it as well so had to pay the right money for it.....

Peter has one with facets, as when making them there was one with some damage of some kind, so he cut facets into it to take the damage away.  It's in his display cabinets at scottish borders art glass in Hawick if you're ever around there, well worth a visit!

Will check Penguin later, but the one I have is the only one I've ever seen, as is the fruit basket!

Ian

Offline SophieB

• Members
Hi Ian,

I share your interest in Peter Holmes. I think that his work is fantastic. I am planning a trip to Hawick very soon. I will look out for the facetted shipwreck in the display cabinets.

Many thanks again.

Sophie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand