No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ABP  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
ABP
« on: January 11, 2006, 05:11:40 PM »
Now I know that (once again  :roll: ) this is glass of somewhat limited interest to many of you on the board, but I am rather happy to have found this nice BIG, HEAVY, SHARP!!!!  :shock: ABP bowl in an antique shop in Bath, whilst holidaying nearby.  http://tinypic.com/k2bibk.jpg  http://tinypic.com/k2bih0.jpg  http://tinypic.com/k2biiv.jpg

The seller had no idea what ABP was, and I had to give a little potted lecture on the when, where and why of it   :wink:  Still got it at a very good price, though!   :D  

Can anyone identify the pattern and tell me anything about it, please?

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: ABP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 07:25:17 PM »
At the risk of embarassing myself :roll:  - what is ABP? :oops:

Gorgeous piece of glass Leni. :P

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ron

• Members
ABP
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:28:14 PM »
American Brilliant Period, the golden age of cut glass.

That is a beautiful piece.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
ABP
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 08:16:04 PM »
OOOOOOOOH Leni, What a piece. FAB. Now for the nuts and bolts, how big is it? And let me tell you your pictures are fantastic, take this from someone who has a devil of a time trying to capture Brilliant cut glass. I thumbed  through some of my books, but finding a certain pattern in cut glass is a really tough proposition. I will keep looking though. Terry

Sklounion

ABP
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 09:18:53 PM »
ABP = Annoyingly Beautiful Purchase... :lol:

How the hell did you id that in Bath????? And you, so dismissive of your own talents, and what you have to offer the board.....
methinks you are fighting shy of praise, but,  hey, LENI..... you is cognoscenti now, gal.....

vwd,

Marcus

Offline Leni

• Members
ABP
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 11:10:35 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
How the hell did you id that in Bath?????

By the thickness of the glass, the weight, the sharpness of the cutting, and the fact that it just sparkled out at me from a dark corner like diamonds!   :wink:

Terry; it's 8 inches in diameter, four inches deep and nearly half an inch thick!   :shock:  

Oh, and it weighs a massive 4lb 1oz  :shock:  :roll:
Leni

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
ABP
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 02:39:44 PM »
I certainly wish I could identify the bowl.  My gut feel is that I don't have any catalog or book information that would pin it down.  It appears to be an 'old' piece of glass and, if this is true, it could be Mt. Washington or early J. Hoare.  I looked through some of the Bergen information but it didn't show there.
Nancy

Sklounion

ABP
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 04:32:42 PM »
http://www.geocities.com/glassantiques/

Leni, there may be something here.....

Also might be worth the investment when they put out the CD-ROM this year.

regards,

Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand