No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: streaked vase?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Gplan

• Members
streaked vase?
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
Hi im looking for an id on this vase it stands 7.5 inches 4 at the top 3.25 at the base it feels quite weighty and old the glass is  green with lots of minute  bubbles going  diagonal the colour is green speckled with random blue flicks the base is polished out to.
i have a feeling it may be Nazeing.
any advice welcomed
thanks.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: streaked vase?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:57:39 PM »
Reminds me of my tankard here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21920.0.html - do your green bits glow under blacklight? (UV)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:29:36 AM »
..and this vase,bowl and 'beaker' no uv reaction :huh:

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:45:33 AM »
Hello,

i have a feeling it may be Nazeing

My standard response is to ask why?

This is not to be picky, but to make people think about that feeling or thought - that way I believe folks learn more than if they're just told ;) :)

As for the parallels with other pieces by Anne and Keith, I would say spot on attention  :)

Nigel

Offline Gplan

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:43:11 PM »
HI the vase looks a bit 1930's and cloudy speckles in green reminds me of nazeing although im not sure so best to ask unfortunely i dont have a uv source at the mo.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »
Thanks Gplan,

Your piece (like the others mentioned by Anne and Keith) has speckles of enamel that have been picked up off the marver block when a clear gather of glass has been rolled across the enamels scattered on that block. Quite possibly there are also random bubbles, but they are seperate from the colour, not surrounded by it. This is not the way Nazeing colour is laid into the glass.

Interestingly, having come back to the thread, I've realised that the shape of your vase is indeed one linked with Stevens and Williams. Not proof, but at least it gets us looking in a particular direction. Certainly I used the same logic with the all green pieces with bubbles that were at one time confused with Nazeing, and later I managed to find the proof in the S&W description books.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand