No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quiz: Who am I?  (Read 4316 times)

Offline waltl

• Members
Re: Quiz: Who am I?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 03:14:01 AM »
Is there an opening in the bottom to the hollow area?  Just wondering -- as once I saw a piece of glass that looked that way, and the guy was in the process of cleaning it out -- as it was tobacco smoke that had collected inside the hollow piece from years and years in a Smoking household...............just a silly stupid suggestion IF air (smokey air) could get up into it.......as that too could also be possible over the years.....just a thought

Anything is possible, Of course it is impossible to render a definitive answer from a small photo, but the fuming of glasses was pretty common on Murano. I can't tell if it is fumed clear glass or fumed opaline glass. The addition of Fluorine or Phosphorus to the glass will yield a glass that will be transparent to milky. Repeated heating and cooling will cause the glass to strike( become translucent to milky and eventually white)

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Quiz: Who am I?
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 07:41:19 PM »
Thanks Walt and Rose, but I think Walt is spot on.  I have two of these pieces myself and the effect is the same.  It is most certainly not smoke damage at all.  Anita and I bought these pieces from the same seller.  I didn't buy the owl because I already have a FM owl in the same design just a different effect.  These pieces, as with most of the Moretti animals, are hollow with usually the feet glued on.  My Moretti cat is hollow and you can see the hole in the bottom.  The reason why so many are stumped when it comes to the effect of these animals is because they are newer pieces of Murano.  You can really see the white spots Walt was referring to in the body of my crane really well.  I will try to photo the spots on my crane and I will also post the bottom of my cat so you can visually see what I am talking about.  Thanks again, Walt.  Your insight was most helpful indeed and makes perfect sense now.

tam bam   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand